DVDVR Message Board

UFC 290: Volkanovski vs. Rodríguez (07/08/2023) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

FyCGPB1akAMJBL4.jpg?1686171404

UFC 290: Volkanovski vs. Rodríguez 
July 8, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

UFC Featherweight Championship: Alexander Volkanovski © (144.5) vs. Yair Rodríguez (145) (fifth defense) - Volkanovski, TKO (punches), R3 (4:19)
UFC Flyweight Championship: Brandon Moreno © (125) vs. Alexandre Pantoja (125) (first defense) - Pantoja, DEC (split)
Robert Whittaker (185.5) vs. Dricus du Plessis (186) - Du Plessis, TKO (punches), R2 (2:23)
Jalin Turner (158)* vs. Dan Hooker (155.5) - Hooker, DEC (split)
Bo Nickal (186) vs. Val Woodburn (185.5) - Nickal, TKO (punches), R1 (0:38)

ABC / ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Robbie Lawler (170.5) vs. Niko Price (171) - Lawler, KO (punches), R1 (0:38)
Tatsuro Taira (130) vs. Edgar Cháirez (129) - Taira, DEC (unanimous)
Yazmin Jauregui (115.5) vs. Denise Gomes (115.5) - Gomes, TKO (punches) R1 (0:20)
Jimmy Crute (205) vs. Alonzo Menifield (205.5) - Menifield, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (1:55)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Vitor Petrino (206) vs. Marcin Prachnio (206) - Petrino, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (3:42)
Cameron Saaiman (135) vs. Terrence Mitchell (135) - Saaiman, TKO (punches), R1 (3:10)
Shannon Ross (126) vs. Jesús Santos Aguilar (126) - Aguilar, KO (punch), R1 (0:17)
Kamuela Kirk (155.5) vs. Esteban Ribovics (156) - Ribovics, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Denise Gomes
Performance of the Night: Dricus du Plessis
Fight of the Night: Brandon Moreno vs. Alexandre Pantoja

Attendance: 19,204
Gate: $9.75 million

Feel underwhelmed by this lineup considering International Fight Week alongside Madison Square Garden are the two biggest annual shows. I'd much rather have had Volkanovski vs. Islam II, a rematch of the 2023 FOTY and Volkanovski should have gotten the decision to become the UFC Lightweight Champion alongside the UFC Featherweight Championship he holds. What bugs me about UFC is not giving immediate rematches when deserved like here and when Carlos Condit was screwed vs. Robbie Lawler. That one especially hurts as it was the 2016 Fight of the Year, Condit would have won the undisputed UFC Welterweight Championship, both fighters were never the same again and we got Tyron Woodley as champion. A reign I try to forget. One of Dana's stupidest decisions. I'm a Volkanovski fan, I think he's the P4P #1. I like Moreno too but this show is missing something with me.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

It's not just the KO and the win, but to do it and not take any more damage after a career that can only be described as "damage" - couldn't have happened to a more deserving fighter.

• Like 3

When I think of Ruthless, it's how hard he hits and he's the only fighter off the top of my head to be in the Fight of the Year three consecutive years:

2014: Robbie Lawler vs. Johny Hendricks 1. UFC 171.

2015: Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald 2. UFC 189.

2016: Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit. UFC 196.

I've always preferred Lawler/Condit to Lawler/MacDonald 2 which seems to be the minority viewpoint.

Roberto Soldic was the apple of everyone's eye in KSW. Then, Dricus du Plessis got on the radar by upsetting him in the first of their two fights before Soldic got his revenge in the rematch.

Now Soldic's career is at a crossroads after losing his ONE FC debut via knockout, and Du Plessis is about to get a UFC title shot after beating the best middleweight in the world who isn't the champion. Life is a bit strange sometimes.

• Like 2