DVDVR Message Board

The Vanpool

Greggulator

I commuted from Philly to NYC for work for a few years. It was brutal. To save time and expenses, I would stay w/ my parents who live in the North Jersey suburbs a few nights a week.

I would take the bus from my parents house to Port Authority. On my second morning at my new job, something strange happened. I was at the bus stop when a white van straight out of I Know My Name Is Steven pulled up in front of me.

The passenger window opened."Do you want a ride?"I said no."Are you going to New York?"

I am.

"That's where we're going."

The side panel of the van door opens. There are a host of people in there."You should come in! It's totally cool in here. GET IN THE VAN!"So I decide to get in the van.This is how I commuted to work for 2-3 times a week for a few years. This was one of the most fascinating experiences of my life. It takes a certain type of person to make the leap into getting into a stranger's van. It was so great. It took about 30-45 minutes to get to Midtown Manhattan from my parents house but you can really learn a lot about people in that time period.

I kept a blog chronicling the odd and bizarre and insightful things that would go on when I rode the van. I would love it you would read it!

The Vanpool

I used to take a vanpool to work when I lived in Michgan and worked at TACOM.  Sooner or later you figure out that the money spent on gas pays for itself when you remove yourself from all of the awkward conversations. 

It was like riding in an elevator.  I'd just stare at my shoes or out into space until we got to our destination.

Man I was expecting to open this thread and find the following:    Van Beethoven, Ludwig  Van Beethoven, Camper  Van Dyke, Dick  Van Dyke, (the beard thing)  Van Halen, Alex  Van Gogh, Vincent  Van Der Beek,  James  Van Eyck, Jan  Van Persie, Robin "money bags"  Van Cleef, Lee  Van Damme, Jean-Claude  Van Sant, Gus  Van Peebles, Mario  Van Buren, Martin  Van Doren, Mamie   Van Doren, Charles    and then, like, I don't know, a sign-up sheet...

• Like 2