DVDVR Message Board

It was hard to see a lot of him over the last years to be frank. When I restarted watching he was out for basically 2017, he had three good tournaments in 2018, then three good tournaments in 2019 and one complete (and decent) tournament in 2020. 

I liked the guy a lot and was happy to see him put a few Yusho on his tally, but I wish he had quit as soon as he had sorted out the citizenship deal. 

The Basho enters senshuraku weekend. 

Takayasu in the lead with 10-2

Runners Up: Asanoyama, Terunofuji at 9-2

There are seven Rikishi in third place with eight wins. Among them Takakeisho, who cleared kadoban today after a shaky tournament start. 

Tomorrow, Takayasu faces Wakatakakage, Asanoyama squares off with rival Ozeki Takakeisho and Terunofuji battles Shodai, who needs one more win for his kachi koshi.

After a 2-4 Start, this is an unexpected chance for Shodai I assume. He beat Takayasu yesterday, maybe he can play spoiler to Terunofuji's hopes aswell? He can foil Asanoyama aswell, since the Ozeki match ups will be part of the next few days matchups. 

I feel like posting this as fair warning because clips of this kind of thing tends to get around online in video form and not everyone wants to see it, but a few minutes back Sandanme #65 Hibikiryu went down awkwardly face first and was either KO'd or had a serious neck injury, and I am not exaggerating that this kid was laying there totally motionless face down in the dirt for several minutes before any meaningful help showed up. And then they rolled him over, no neck brace or anything. If you couldn't see him breathing you'd have been excused for thinking he was dead.

I've watched a ton of combat sports, I've seen thousands of hours of football, and I'm a huge hockey fan so I've seen some fucked up injuries. But the way this one was handled was beyond anything I've ever watched, it was pretty awful to see the absolute non-response live on a stream.

The injury-handling in sumo is - unfortunately - still in 1600-something. Nothing good to say about stuff like this, it's a huge flaw in the system itself. 

In "result-news": Abi wins the Makushita Yusho in his return to the dohyo with a 7-0 score. He is working his way back towards the Sekitori level after almost getting kicked out of Sumo for repeated misbehaviour. 

Posted (edited)

At day 10, Takayasu was up by two wins at 9-1 and looked dominant. At day 14, he has crumbled, is 10-4 and dependant of what happens in today's main event to at least remain co leader with Terunofuji. It was heartbreaking to watch Takayasu after his match today, two very similar losses back to back aswell. 

Edit: Miyogiru is now 6-8 and makekoshi after a 5-0 start. 

Edited by ReiseReise

A thrilling new high point in a career defined by choking. I do not think Takayasu is mentally capable of winning a tournament. Just to pile it on, if he had won the last two that got away from him he'd be on a very real Ozeki run.

That wasn't a choke anymore, but a downright collapse. From 9-1 to 10-5, today losing to Aoiyama. 

The crisis of an Aoiyama playoff participation was averted, because Terunofuji fended off the serious threat of Takakeisho (who would have forced his own way into the playoff). Yusho and Ozeki promotion is a thing for the big guy, incredible comeback! 

That was a really, really good tournament overall. Lots of guys wrestling well and a title race that comes right down to the last day. Plus the guys I like in juryo (Chiyomaru, Ishiaura, motherfucking URA, Enho) all had good winning scores.

Terunofuji is just unreal. Takakeisho honestly blasted him pretty good at that tachiai and it still didn't matter. He just wanted it that much, I don't know that it comes down to much else.

Tobizaru is fucking great. More of him please. Meisei also really looked like a guy that belongs with the big boys in this tournament.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Kotoyuki just announced intai a few days ago at age 30. He had started Sumo in 2008 and had been in salaried levels since September 2011, only dropping out of Juryo in March, with his top rank being Sekiwake. After undergoing surgery, his health didn't improve far enough, so retirement was probably the right call. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hoshoryu on another career highest rank. Hokutofuji is forever the king of bad banzuke luck. 9-6 in spitting distance of sanyaku, half a rank of promotion. 

We go again this Sunday.

Looks very likely we're doing another fan-less basho. Hakuho we already knew is out but we can add to that Aoiyama (bad back), Ryuden (violated COVID protocol), and Midorifuji (I didn't see what his deal was). 

Hopefully all four Ozeki can wrestle well. Shodai should be motivated since he absolutely needs the wins, at least. Any of the Ozeki winning would theoretically set up a good storyline for July with Hakuho's probable swan song, but who knows at this point.

It will be very interesting to see how much is in Terunofuji's tank. His knees are reportedly acting up again. 

Takakeisho seems far from 100% aswell. Shodai has his hands full avoiding demotion I'd assume. Maybe it will be Asanoyama's time?