DVDVR Message Board

The basho started today, and why there is not much surprise in most of the results - which may actually BE a surprise simply because of the rarity of this occurance over the last few years - the empty arena basho makes this feel otherworldly, as if the ghostst of Ryōgoku Kokugikan are haunting a deserves arena. Most surprising result would probably be Yutakayama blasting Hokutofuji off the dohyo. It will be interesting to see how the wrestlers handle the situation. 

Yutakayama looked really, really impressive. That was my performance of the day.

I would have bet anything against Shodai losing that match. You know he’s been wanting another chance at it for two months. I’ll also say this for the guy, there is plenty of historical context for guys with middling records like his suddenly hitting a big vein of form at 28-30, maybe he’s just a late bloomer.

I took Kakuryu to win the tournament because he seems like the guy who mentally will be the least bothered with everything going on around him. I know training win/losses mean nothing because who in their right mind is going to upstage a Yokozuna in practice, but the fact he actually got in around 60 practice bouts and looked healthy doing it has my hopes up.

I agree, Shodai didn't seem like he was going to loose this one. 

If the Yokozuna are healthy, they are definetly the key factors for the Yusho race. Normally I'd say Hakuho moreso than Kakuryu, but Kakuryu's had been fantastic in training and if he has indeed healed up, and older, banged up Hakuho might not me the most dangerous man in the field. 

Kakuryu/Takayasu ended with a bad injury for the former Ozeki, which was only amplified by the empty arena givng us more audio than usual of his reaction. A real shame. I know sumo loves their traditions but it's absurd that there isn't a ringside doctor in a combat sport in 2020.

Asanoyama looks very dialed in, but it's hard to talk about much else after that finish to the day.

Agree, that was horrifying. Apparently, it was "just" a muscle tear or even pull, but it looked as if he was paralized or something. With the suspended regional Tour between the next tournaments, I really hope he can rest up. He will very likely drop to Maegashira #15 or even lower, not getting any wins in Osaka. 

On 3/14/2020 at 4:04 AM, ReiseReise said:

There have been many good matches, but my favourite after 6 days:

I honestly had three or four "This is it!" moments before the actual finish. Good stuff by both guys. 

Also have this pegged as my Match of the Basho. Both guys looked like killers coming in, too. And they still both look great, I have a feeling one of the two could take the lead soon.. Shame Shoudai and Hokutofuji couldn't keep their momentum going from last basho. I expected Endo and Tokushoryu to get absolutely obliterated and I'm entertained that I'm only half-right.

I kinda zoned out on this Basho like I tend to do when Hakuho opens with a big win streak. Onosho is one of the first guys I like to cheer against due to his INSANELY unchecked tendency to be hatakikomi'd, but I've seen two or three bouts this basho when he figured out how to counter somebody's pull attempt and blast them, Hakuho bout included. It's a development I have my eye on, the kid still has a very high ceiling.

• Like 1

Onosho looked to be the better of the Bowling-Twins (him and Takakeisho) by quite a margin when they made their way up the banzuke, for his style seemed to be a little more advanced and he looked better in his first sanyaku appearance than the now-Ozeki. He got injured, dropped down the ranks and instead of pulverizing the Makuuchi lower and middle tier, he struggled to get good consecutive runs going. He is still young and has a lot of potential, but it remains to be seen if he can reach (and exceed) the heights he once was at. 

Hakuho is really hard to predict, he seemed to be cruising towards the Yusho after looking a little sloppy in the beginning, but yesterday's decisive loss put Aoiyama into a co-lead with the GOAT. I'm not a fan of Aoiyama, but he seems utterly unphased by the lack of crowd support, he's executing simple and effective oshi-techniques. 

Takakeisho is not looking good, especially with Yokozuna matchups still ahead of him. Mitakeumi back with a strong showing, although he couldn't do anything against Hakuho and Kakuryu. 

Enho is finally struggling, maybe joi is his glas ceiling for now, or the lack of rallying cries make the difference. 

On 3/1/2020 at 7:44 AM, ReiseReise said:

Wow, that's going to be unique. As somebody on the sumoforum stated: Some Rikishi may feel as if they were back at the start of their careers with the absence of the crowd. 

Yeah, I feel badly for them.  Low ranking sumo wrestlers often go through the same experience as indy pro wrestlers do; working nearly empty venues.  

The home town advantage is not a myth.  There is a certain energy you receive when a crowd is cheering you on so how well some wrestlers will perform without that significant psychological advantage is going to make for an interesting basho.

• Like 1

It appears to hinder a many good Rikishi, and somehow it seems to push Aoiyama of all people. With Hakuho dropping another Match, this time against Shodai, the Bulgarian suddenly goes into Day 13 with the sole lead. 

While I was not very high on Tokoshoryu winning his Yusho, the Bulgarian following suit would probably make for my least favourite winner in the last three years since I got back into watching. It's not even that he doesn't seem likeable personality-wise, but he seems very unathletic (looking like the stereotypical fat guy people think of who don't care for Sumo) and I find his very basic oshi Sumo Style to be really boring on big, bulky and slow guys. 

Asanoyama, Hakuho and Kakuryu are the ones chasing Aoiyama, Asanoyama will face both Yokozuna now, Hakuho today, Kakuryu on Saturday. Maybe the schedule will put him vs Aoiyama on senshuraku. 

The two Yokozuna will face each other on final day. Aoiyama has Takanosho, who is 9-3 today. I wonder if they'd put Hakuho vs him on day 14, or if they stick with a traditional match up and put Takakeisho vs Hakuho and maybe put a Komusubi vs Aoiyama on day 14.

I think the schedule makers have little interest in another upset story like January. Aoiyama gets a loss today and his follow up tomorrow is some guy named Hakuho (career vs. Aoiyama: 22-0).

Kakuryu vs. Asanoyama tomorrow is going to be a huge one. And  obviously Kakuryu vs. Hakuho on day 15 is looking extra spicy right now.

• Like 2

I'm 100% sure we will get Asanoyama v Aoiyama on senshuraku. But you're right, they definitely want Aoiyama to earn that one. If he beats Hakuho (who is in the title race aswell), even the slowed down version, he definitely earns a Yusho. 

My favourite scenario would be Hakuho and Asanoyama winning tomorrow, Kakuryu and Asanoyama winning on Sunday for a three-men-tie, but it feels as if Asanoyama is underperforming against the Yokozuna since he has been talked up as the next big thing. 

Second division is also interesting, two of Kotoshogiku's stablemates atop the division, Kotoshoho (a young Japanese hope, showing loads of potential) and Kotoeko, one of the smalller, lighter Rikishi. Also, Terunofuji with 9-4 from Juryo 3 will very likely get back to Makuuchi. The former Ozeki is probably the most amazing comeback story Sumo ever saw, dropping from the second highest rank back down into the second lowest division with a bad case of diabetes and destroyed knees. Now he will probably be back among the top 42 Rikishi in the world. Much respect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'll hate the guy for life but Top 42 feels like selling him short.

Remember me to never sidestep one of your favourites in a competition. ? I understand it, I felt the same for a while about him. Right now I'm at a point in my fandom where I really don't hate anybody, I basically respect every Rikishi and their feats of skill and/or strength.

Was it you who once called Terunofuji looking like "a shit heel" in the sports thread? That Observation was spot on... =D

I think he is probably better than at the very least the bottom half of Maegashira and in peak condition could get back to Ozeki (that guy had more power than Tochinoshin, 2018 Tochinoshin that is). But if he gets back to that condition remains to be seen, his knees are shot.

At 27, he can still even make it back to Ozeki, but we will have to see if he can put together the scores. The return to Makuuchi after a crash landing like that is an amazing feat. Tochinoshin dropped back to Makushita after having reached sanyaku, than made Ozeki.

But I personally think having attained the rank, dropping the way Terunofuji dropped and then NOT going to the barber and scratching and clawing the way back, looking finished for at least the first three to four Basho in the lower division is even bigger. 

Edited by ReiseReise

I'm live with you. Saw parts of Juryo, now live at Hakuho's Ring entrance.

Edit 1: Takanosho surprises Mitakeumi and keeps his Yusho hopes alive. 

Edit 2: Takakeisho back in business, might just eek out Kachikoshi. Hakuho v Aoiyama next. 

Edit 3: Both men take a long time at the Tachiai. Hakuho oddly enough goes toe to toe in an Oshi match, but is still clearly the better man and handily defeats Aoiyama, who has nothing to be ashamed off. Asanoyama vs Kakuryu is the Main Event. 

Edit 4: Asanoyama winning would not only keep him in contention, it would also give Takanosho and Aoiyama a Playoff hope. Both would need Kakuryu to beat Hakuho. No Torikumi announced yet, maybe the will wait for Day 14 to finish. 

Edit 5: Fantastic Match between Asanoyama and a Kakuryu, monoii to decide. Gyoji called in Asanoyama's favour. Could be a torinaoshi. 

Edit 6: It looked as if Asanoyama's hand could have been down first, but only by a margin and I would think shintai rule might be in effect.

Instead the decision is reversed. Worst possible decision after how the replays looked imo. This makes the Yokozuna matchup a definite Yusho decider. 

Edited by ReiseReise
  • Like 1

Excellent final match to decided the Yusho, Hakuho prevails and takes home a Yusho in the 15th consecutive calendar year. 

Asanoyama secures Ozeki (apparently confirmed) while Takakeisho will be kadoban, should there be a May Tournament. 

• Like 1