DVDVR Message Board

I assume they will cancel it. There is no way for the Rikishi to train properly. There is still the possibility of another Basho without spectators, but well... 

All regions having Bashos are affected right now, Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Kyushu all declaring states of emergency. Hard to imagine the tournaments taking place right now. And I actually do mean all remaining tournaments for 2020.

The video is really great. The spells where you simply see Asaahoryu's picture, then Hakuho's because they basically won every tournament is amazing. Really puts into perspective how good Harumafuji was, winning a tournament amidst both guys and going on to win three zensho with Hakuho in his prime being around. 

Crazy aswell are the 90ies / early 2000s and the simultaneously Takanohana, Akebono and Musashimaru. Musashimaru might be my "I forget how good he was everytime" guys. Similar with the early 80ies and the Chiyonofuji and Kitanoumi rivalry. 

http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/index.php/index.php/

The May banzuke is out, which is... probably more likely to be the July banzuke? Who knows. Anyway no really major surprises. Terenofuji is back in the top division. Thirty-six year old Tochiozan pays the price for a 3-12 March and is at Juryo 2 now.

I'm pretty sure it will be July. No way the kiyokai can justify a "sumo" special treatment now that several Rikishi tested positive for Covid 19. The Banzuke went about the way most expected. If Terunofuji's condition holds up, he is going to wreak havoc on the lower end of the banzuke. I'm really curious to see how Kotoshoho will do, he seemed really promising, not only judging by results but also the matches I've seen from him. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, ReiseReise said:

With the extra rest, due to raw ability, everything but a Hakuho zensho would be borderline sensational. If he was ever to regain his form, Takayasu from Maegashira 13 has to be considered. 

Not sure I agree with this. Obviously, betting against a healthy Hakuho is a mug's game but there are plenty of worn down vets out there who haven't had such a long rest in ages. Takayasu is one, Tochinoshin for two, maybe Okinoumi, but him for a yusho is a stretch. Takakeisho was looking a bit banged up last time out. Hakuho does get to take a rest whenever he likes without having to worry about his ranking beyond the rumblings of whether or not he'll have to retire, but since he's won a million billion yusho, I imagine the Association have approximately zero power to make him do anything he doesn't want to do. Kakuryu gets this to a lesser extent, and he's pulled out already, so it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Asanoyama impresses me, his Sumo seems calm and collected. Hakuho looks close to what is his best currently at his age and state of career aswell. Kotoshoho and Terunofuji look good down the Banzuke.

If Ichinojo is really healthy, I assume he will wreckt Juryo. Down in Makushita, Ura (who is one my favourites) started 2-0, hopefully he can keep up his progress after two ACL injuries. I'd love to see him back in paid ranks with - hopefully - his bright pink Mawashi. 

predictions:

This is that one tournament a year Mitakeumi is contractually obligated to win. He will go 2-13 in September and die before he ever makes Ozeki, but Mitakeumi will take the basho

Terunofuji will attempt to pull a Tokushoryu and win by feasting on M10+ers but because he's Mongolian they will actually put him against top rankers after his ninth win. He will still beat everyone and it will suck and Terunofuji will take the basho

Hakuho will breeze to a start 13-0 before dislocating his left pinkie fingernail. He will pull out of the basho on the spot so he can heal his pinkie for the 2021 Olympics. He will finish 13-1-1 and Hakuho will still take the basho

• Haha 1

Hakuho had a Gronk like "I threw him out of the club" moment. (He threw him out so hard that not only did his opponent go into the first row, but Hakuho actually had so much momentum he went straight off the dohyo and he was forced to jog up the walkway.)

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Haha 1