DVDVR Message Board

Your Upcoming Good Stuff On TCM Thread

EdA

Sunday: I married a witch in the afternoon. Late night, 2 Japanese films that do not ring a bell: Cruel Gun Story and A Colt is my Passport. I’ll be at work, so should try and watch, as I bet they aren’t archived. 

Some things of note this week:

Tuesday has a bunch of "arctic/Antarctic" films including nanook of the north, 2 docs about admiral Byrd, a romcom with myrna loy & The Thing (from Another World).

Tuesday also starts 2 days of jungle movies, including 14 Tarzan pictures. 

Thursday has a bunch of Marlene Dieterich films.

Friday has a ton of tod browning, including Freaks, mark of the vampire and the devil doll. 

Friday late also has From Beyond the Grave, if you missed it in October.

• Like 2

Cruel Gun Story was great, and reminded me of a combination of Thief and Heat, just done through a '50s noir lens. I don't think I can make it through A Colt Is My Passport but try hard if you can (if you don't have DVR), fellow film troopers. And again...

TURN TO THE OTHER WAY~!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Twilight People was not too long ago with the Brando led Island of Dr. Moreau on TCM Underground.

Time Bandits comes on early Sunday morning at 4AM EDT and Whatever Happened To Baby Jane comes on that afternoon at 5:30 PM EDT.

The entire Man With No Name / Dollars trilogy is featured next Wednesday night (13 June) starting at 8PM EDT, but I'll probably be watching the Errol Flynn double feature (Captain Blood / Adventures of Robin Hood) that starts at 4PM EDT.

It feels like those Flynn movies are always in the rotation. I watched Captain Blood while I was in the hospital back in March. 

There was some Disney Vault stuff this week that is prob still part of the 7 day archive on the spp.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It feels like those Flynn movies are always in the rotation. I watched Captain Blood while I was in the hospital back in March. 

I have never needed to own a copy of The Adventures of Robin Hood nor have I needed to download the TCM companion app because that movie comes on at least once a month and usually at a time when I can sit down and enjoy it.

Now if only they'd show Kwaidan at a decent hour when humans are actually awake.

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have never needed to own a copy of The Adventures of Robin Hood nor have I needed to download the TCM companion app because that movie comes on at least once a month and usually at a time when I can sit down and enjoy it.

Now if only they'd show Kwaidan at a decent hour when humans are actually awake.

I have that Criterion so never worry about watching it. I usually try to only watch all the stuff on TCM I dont have already have on dvd/tape. 

Neglected to mention it but Tokyo Drifter was just on and it was bangin'. One really wild bar brawl, some great torch singing and a finale with some really cool sets -- the whole film had some really cool sets actually, especially the bar that literally started falling apart amidst the rioting Japanese and off-duty American soldiers. Not your typical Yakuza film for the era, feels like something that would have come out later on. 

I knew I shoulda called in sick today and then run to the store for ramen and chips...  

The times for all of these movies are EDT.

11:00 AM:  ATTACK OF THE FIFTY FOOT WOMAN~!

And then there is a SO HORRIBLE THAT IT IS AWESOME~! CHEESEFEST~! TRIPLE FEATURE~!!

12:15 PM:  THE WASP WOMAN~!

1:30 PM:  THE WILD, WILD PLANET~! 

3:15 PM:  FROM HELL IT CAME~! 

I haven't seen From Hell It Came since Dr. Madblood's Groovie Movies came on at obscene hours of a Saturday night when I stayed at my grandparen's house for the summers.

You would remember From Hell It Came if you ever saw it.  Leonard Maltin gave it a star and a half out of four with the caveat that it was one of the best movies he'd ever seen about a vengeful walking tree monster.

And it opens with a bloody human sacrifice! I recorded it off TNT when I was a kid and was totally "oh shit" when it started with that. 

I turned on The Wasp Woman right now (a Corman classic) and it is just literally closeup footage of bugs fighting each other haha

EDIT: Whoops guess that was the filler they played after the movie which is only like an hour long anyway

He Knows You're Alone (Tom Hanks' first film) and something called Slasher Film Debuts are gonna be the TCM Underground selections on Friday night/Saturday morning. 

Antonio Margheriti being one of the producers AND the director of The Wild Wild Planet means I'm not changing the channel now

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

He Knows You're Alone (Tom Hanks' first film) and something called Slasher Film Debuts are gonna be the TCM Underground selections on Friday night/Saturday morning. 

Antonio Margheriti being one of the producers AND the director of The Wild Wild Planet means I'm not changing the channel now

Don't rub it in that I am missing this and am not recording it.

You didn't miss much.  Laura Mars was a bit too clever for its own good with the red herrings and slight plot twist.  I remember it being okay if not a bit cliché ridden.  Faye Dunaway and Tommy Lee Jones do manage to perform small miracles with what little they had to work with.