DVDVR Message Board

UR Fight 3-21-16 - The Inaugural Voyage Into the Iceberg

MGFanJay

This show was tailor-made for DVDVR.

This was only $12 and a laugh riot. It wasn't nearly as sad as Heroes of Wrestling, and the commentary team was a wonderful mix of awful and great thanks to Rampage bringing the comedy. JR and Sean were serious enough, while also burying the show and the grappling match. That was dreadful, but entertaining thanks to the commentary. The MMA fight was a disaster, with a wedgie and an RNC - so it never had time to be bad.

Riff Raff was so goddamned awful, but hilarious with his whole schtick. Then we got him in the Angle vs. Rey match, where he saved Rey from that "MOTHER...FUCKER!" Kurt and his chair. They had a nothing house show match here, but it was amusing, and I like Rey's new El Rey/Lucha Underground gear. Tiny Trunks was hilarious in his walkout, but got his ass whooped. Roy Jones Jr. vs. Vyron Phillips had a few highlights in it - with Jones showing he has enough to face the Homer Simpsons of the world and not get hurt.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/03/ur-fight-3-20-16-live-coverage.html

Screens -

458652472836260.jpg

0456e7472837453.jpg

9397ba472841644.jpg

bfad0e472841779.jpg

125d90472843514.jpg

"YOUR MAIN EVENT IS HERE!"

ac0934472843685.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/lla0p9a5m8gmbz3thwnesgqfhe3f4jjp

watched this event the other day. it wasn't bad enough to be terrible but wasn't good enough to be great.

i enjoyed it for what it was. Whoever that commentator is that's not JR or Rampage seemed to do a REALLY good job during the MMA portion of the show. JR shined during the Angle/Mysterio match, and Rampage was exactly what you'd expect.  the boxing match did nothing for me, and i surmise i'm not the only one, as the arena emptied out following the prowres match.  after the Sonnen/Bisping 'grappling' match, the audio gets quiet and you could hear someone without a mic saying "i'm probably the biggest grappling nerd here and even i didn't enjoy that" before the audio kicks back in. definitely the highlight of commentary for me.  also, Rampage name dropping JYD.

highly doubt there'll be another UR Fight event, but i'd probably watch it if there was.

Guest Edwin
On 3/29/2016 at 9:47 PM, twiztor said:

Whoever that commentator is that's not JR or Rampage seemed to do a REALLY good job during the MMA portion of the show.

Sean Wheelock. He used to do commentary for Bellator and just did commentary for Victory FC on Fight Pass.

1 hour ago, grizzlyedwin said:

Sean Wheelock. He used to do commentary for Bellator and just did commentary for Victory FC on Fight Pass.

I wasn't that big a fan of Wheelock, but goddamnit is he better than the guy Bellator replaced him with. His replacement is basically Lesser Mike Goldberg and has no chemistry with Jimmy Smith. I guess they wanted a person who was a bigger product shill, but it just comes off so unnatural. At least with Wheelock and Smith, the team had been together for quite awhile.