DVDVR Message Board

UFC 195: Lawler vs. Condit (1/2/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I think Lawler's strikes drew more attention from the judges because they snapped Condit's head and left him a bloody mess, but no judge seemed to give Condit credit for maintaining a high volume of activity and continuing to walk Lawler down in spite of the power punches.  

I don't think that fighters like Condit get enough credit for having an indestructible chin and I was pleased that the FS1 commentary crew brought that up time and time again as it pertained to the judge's scoring. (i.e. it didn't and it should have been)

Both guys fought the fight they intended to so it was a pick 'em brawl for all five rounds and they negated their knockdown by suffering knockdowns.

Condit has always been somewhat susceptible to takedowns, so I am not sure why Lawler didn't go to his wrestling more. 

Condit very well may have the best chin in the history of MMA.  Does anyone remember the Jake Ellenberger fight?  If his chin wasn't otherworldly, he would have been taken out on a stretcher.  Ellenberger hits as hard as any Welterweight in the world, and he blasted Condit about 75 times and somehow Condit was able to come back and win that fight. 

• Like 1

I have no idea why people punch Condit in the head when it is well documented that he has a legendary chin.

It's like no one has watched tape of his fights.  If they did, they would attack Condit's torso and legs since he has had serious knee injuries thanks to the fact that he does not check leg kicks like he should and his takedown defense is rather suspect for a guy who has gotten quite a few wins using a wide variety of submission moves and should be able to handle himself on the ground.

I just realized that if this fight wins FoTY, then Lawler will have been the co-winner for three years straight.

Late to the party so here goes. What a fucking fight, THAT fifth round. I was ducking and weaving to it, I've never done that before. One of the best MMA fights ever. I scored the fight for Carlos Condit 48-47 with rounds 1, 3 and 4.

Condit very well may have the best chin in the history of MMA.  Does anyone remember the Jake Ellenberger fight?  If his chin wasn't otherworldly, he would have been taken out on a stretcher.  Ellenberger hits as hard as any Welterweight in the world, and he blasted Condit about 75 times and somehow Condit was able to come back and win that fight. 

Ellenberger hit Condit so hard once, he made Condit do the front roll you do in your fourth grade P.E. class.

Ellenberger hit Condit so hard once, he made Condit do the front roll you do in your fourth grade P.E. class.

There is a video online from when Condit was waiting for GSP to come back instead of taking another fight, and the interviewer asked him if he wanted to fight Ellenberger in the interim.  I don't claim to be a psychic, but I don't have to be for me to understand exactly what was going on in Condit's mind at that moment.  He might as well as screamed, "FUCK NO, I'd rather wait and fight the most dominant fighter in the history of the division than to go through that again."  Welterweight is basically a murderer's row of dudes who will end your shit in the most violent way possible, and Condit somehow hasn't been finished outside of an injury. 

• Like 1

What my man said.  There are no less than six or seven knockout artists in the top ten of the Welterweight division and when they fight each other it goes to decisions, TKOs due to injury, or ref stoppage due to injury.  

The Top 10 list is full of gatekeepers that won't stay down unless you cripple or kill them.  I can't think of too many contenders that did not go through hell in order to earn their title shot.  The fact that Robbie is the title holder speaks volumes about how far he's come since his whatever days.  This is the most I've seen Lawler give a shit about something in years.

What my man said.  There are no less than six or seven knockout artists in the top ten of the Welterweight division and when they fight each other it goes to decisions, TKOs due to injury, or ref stoppage due to injury.  

The Top 10 list is full of gatekeepers that won't stay down unless you cripple or kill them.  I can't think of too many contenders that did not go through hell in order to earn their title shot.  The fact that Robbie is the title holder speaks volumes about how far he's come since his whatever days.  This is the most I've seen Lawler give a shit about something in years.

The top 10 is the top 10, but the guys you really don't want to fight are guys like Rick Story and Jake Ellenberger. Losing to Rory MacDonald or Matt Brown will drop you out of contention, but those are the best of the best guys.  Getting lumped up by Ellenberger, who is ranked #23rd, makes you think about changing professions.  The fun of the division is in the lower ranked guys who aren't going to win any titles, but those guys who have to keep committing acts of violence in order to keep their lights on.  Welterweight isn't as deep as Lightweight as far as top rate talent, but when it comes to people who will destroy your soul Welterweight is #1 with a bullet. 

I would find it more disheartening to lose to Koscheck rather than Ellenberger or Story and even Josh is capable of putting your lights out in short order if he decides to show up and fight.

I would find it more disheartening to lose to Koscheck rather than Ellenberger or Story and even Josh is capable of putting your lights out in short order if he decides to show up and fight.

I think everyone on the planet would find it more disheartening to lose to Koscheck since he's beyond done as a relevant fighter.  He also isn't known for his KO power.  He only has a few in his career and hasn't knocked anyone out in years. 

I think everyone on the planet would find it more disheartening to lose to Koscheck since he's beyond done as a relevant fighter.  He also isn't known for his KO power.  He only has a few in his career and hasn't knocked anyone out in years. 

Kosh isn't known for his KO power and still has some brutal KOs under his belt.  As you say though, his days of being a fighter of relevance and importance are far behind him.

• 5 months later...