DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Conference Championships

Dolfan in NYC

I disagree, football would be huge regardless, it's pretty much an institution of college life and a playoff wouldn't kill regular season interest to any degree that effects the money being made by those who care. And, it would make the playoffs matter more and have more interest when you have the football equivalents of St. John's or Bradly going deep into the playoffs and giving the more causal sports fan someone to cheer for.

I disagree, football would be huge regardless, it's pretty much an institution of college life and a playoff wouldn't kill regular season interest to any degree that effects the money being made by those who care.

Said the dying sport of college basketball once upon a time.

• Like 1

OSU did lose to VT no doubt, but they lost with Braxton Miller going down. TCU has the best loss of the trio though and no matter how you spin it, either TCU/OSU/Baylor will be upset.

Still sticking by it that there should be 6-8 playoff teams. The problem this year is that we have a few teams who could be a clear #4. I would not care much if these same teams were fighting over a #8 spot.

This pie-in-the-sky "let's put all the conference champions in" thing doesn't even work for college football, because unlike college basketball, there's no uniformity in how conference champions are determined.

Which of the One True Co-Champions gets the auto bid out of the Big 12? Before anyone says "It doesn't really matter because they're both so highly ranked, they'd be in regardless" I can point you to several examples where the tied schools weren't so closely ranked and it absolutely would've mattered.

How about the 3 co-champions in the American? Memphis, UCF, or Cincinnati? Do we let all three of them in?

See, even in the pie-in-the-sky scenario, as things stand now, you can't make everybody happy. So don't even try. Just give us the best teams with the most legitimate arguments for being #1. And if you go back and look at the modern, BCS era of college football, there has only been one year where more than 4 teams had a decent argument (wacky 2007). 4 is the optimal number.

If you're not one of the 4, then as Don Draper once said: You're good. Get better. Stop asking for things.

• Like 2

This pie-in-the-sky "let's put all the conference champions in" thing doesn't even work for college football, because unlike college basketball, there's no uniformity in how conference champions are determined.

Which of the One True Co-Champions gets the auto bid out of the Big 12? Before anyone says "It doesn't really matter because they're both so highly ranked, they'd be in regardless" I can point you to several examples where the tied schools weren't so closely ranked and it absolutely would've mattered.

How about the 3 co-champions in the American? Memphis, UCF, or Cincinnati? Do we let all three of them in?

See, even in the pie-in-the-sky scenario, as things stand now, you can't make everybody happy. So don't even try. Just give us the best teams with the most legitimate arguments for being #1. And if you go back and look at the modern, BCS era of college football, there has only been one year where more than 4 teams had a decent argument (wacky 2007). 4 is the optimal number.

If you're not one of the 4, then as Don Draper once said: You're good. Get better. Stop asking for things.

Baylor goes in over TCU. They don't have a championship so I'm counting head to head. Had TCU beat Baylor, I'd put them ahead.

The American conference isn't good enough to be in consideration IMO and I don't think anyone is worrying about them. Mark my words that we will never see one of those teams get into the Top 5. They are basically now a Mountain West or Sun Valley conference. Someone would have to go undefeated and look good doing so, ala if Marshall stayed undefeated, to even get consideration for a shot. I'd compare them to FSU in the ACC but I think they are clearly a step below that level. Anyone disagree?

The problem is we don't have a #4. I would not care if we were arguing about a #8. I think the Top 6 or so all have a claim due to the ridiculous number of 120+ NCAA FB D1 schools, the 12 game schedule and due to schools likely not playing other schools.

OSU did lose to VT no doubt, but they lost with Braxton Miller going down. TCU has the best loss of the trio though and no matter how you spin it, either TCU/OSU/Baylor will be upset.

This is some major league spin right here. Miller was hurt weeks before the season started. And Virginia Tech wasn't even Ohio's first game. They got thumped at home by a terrible team they should have been able to beat with me at quarterback. So let's stop with the "Miller got hurt" nonsense.
  • Like 2

Art Briles arguing head-to-head should trump all since he apparently has voted otherwise in the coaches poll in the past. I agree with him about Baylor, I just think it's funny.