DVDVR Message Board

cricket

xavier

Ireland caused a bit of a last minute palpitation, but look to close things out..

and every time an associate team defeats a "Big 10" team, it's a giant fuck you to the ICC, because the next Cricket World Cup 2019 has reduced the field from 14 (this year) to 10.. possibly costing teams like Scotland, Ireland, and Afghanistan places.

I am sorry I missed the era of the West Indies being one of the most dominant teams in all of sport through anything but old highlight videos and many a story. Because pretty much all I've had to rest my hat on with the West Indies is Curtley Ambrose and Brian Lara. And even those are distant memories now.

Congrats to the Irish though. Clearly by all accounts a deserved win. Keep pushing Bangladesh, ICC.

Yeah, New Zealand are treating Scotland like this is a Road Warriors squash match on WCW Saturday Night. Scotland are 12/4, and unlike the last two teams to be in desperate straits early in their innings when batting first, I don't think New Zealand will let them off the mat.

Well, considerably less psyched for the upcoming contest between Bangladesh and Afghanistan, but it should at least be interesting to see how far along Afghanistan have come over the past few years (haven't actually seen them compete in some time).

West Indies bounce back from the Ireland loss by pasting Pakistan.

edit: Looking over the game, Pakistan was 1 for 4. Now, in the Aussie nomenclature, that's.. bad but recoverable (4 runs for 1 wicket).. unfortunately, that was 1 run for the loss of four wickets.

If the weather turns the WI/Zimbabwe game into a No Result (Zimbabwe need to complete 20 overs, they're currently in a rain delay), then the greatest ODI Partnership ever (372 runs) between Chris Gayle and Marion Samuels will mean nothing, as they'll get one point

Wow, Ireland and UAE with a nerve wracking game.

UAE batted first, and were down to 141/6 but managed to get to 279 thanks to a World Cup record 107 run seventh wicket partnership in just 11.5 runs.. and Ireland got off to a slow start, but chase it down with 2 wickets and 4 balls to spare.

Ireland move to 2-0, and are quite possibly one more win away from the Quarterfinals (they have Zimbabwe, Pakistan, India and South Africa left)

Yeah, you need to watch these highlights.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/839693.html

One of the rules of thumb in One Day Cricket is that to get a ball park score for a full 50 overs, you take double the amount scored after 30 overs. (usually, the teams start to score quicker at the end because they have wickets in hand and can take more risks)

At the 30 over mark, South Africa was 147/3. Decent, not spectacular.

Then it became the 1812 overture as South Africa scored 261 runs in the last 20 overs (yes, 13 an over), to put up 408/5

If you're in the US, watch the highlights, basically in baseball terms it's like someone was hitting batting practice homers and line drives to all parts of the ground, against top level pitching. Just boom! Boom! BOOOM! everywhere.

West Indies were disheartened by this (De VIlliers had done this to the in the most recent series, so it was deja vu all over again, has to be at least psychological at this point), and fell to 151 all out in 33.1 overs.

• Like 1