DVDVR Message Board

UFC 299: O'Malley vs. Vera II (03/09/2024) - Miami, FL (Kaseya Center)

The distance MVP's rear hand travels from the time he decides to close distance and swing, to the moment when he actually connects with his opponents face feels like miles.

What was Vera's gameplan? So much standing on the outside and getting picked apart. Terrible reactions to every feint. Slow. Looked like he didn't want to be there. 

Just now, waffle said:

What was Vera's gameplan? So much standing on the outside and getting picked apart. Terrible reactions to every feint. Slow. Looked like he didn't want to be there. 

I don't think he expected THAT O'Malley. He simply got outclassed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, waffle said:

I thought he'd try to pressure against the cage a few time. Nope, not once. 

Well, I mean everytime he tried to cut off the cage, O'Malley would escape. It's a lot tougher when O'Malley is fresh the first three rounds and sort of fades later on. By the time O'Malley slowed down, Chito had already taken a heck of a beating. So O'Malley slowing down really didn't help him cause Chito himself got busted up and was just fighting on fumes. 

The slow start was expected, but man, I was really hoping he'd make it dirty more often. Those moments where Chito got in his face were generally successful moments. The problem was that between each of those moments he was eating 15-20 shots with nothing in return.

If I were O'Malley I'd be trying to ghost Merab for Topuria too.

I think Topuria is the tougher fight just cause if O'Malley can stop Merab's TD attempts (easier said than done) then Merab is going to get lit up. Topuria would be ready for O'Malley standing and would take advantage of O'Malley slowing down. The only thing he would have over Topuria really is the slight speed advantage. I dunno how much that would make a difference when Topuria throw heat himself.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Topuria is the tougher fight just cause if O'Malley can stop Merab's TD attempts (easier said than done) then Merab is going to get lit up. Topuria would be ready for O'Malley standing and would take advantage of O'Malley slowing down. The only thing he would have over Topuria really is the slight speed advantage. I dunno how much that would make a difference when Topuria throw heat himself.

I don't disagree. But I don't know if he thinks that. And more importantly the risk to gain ratio is much better with Topuria. Have a stand up fight with no risk of losing your title, with the chance to be a two weight champion. OR hope your takedown defense lasts against someone who has an infinite motor, with a chance that your title reigns quickly and you just become the charismatic second best fighter in your division.

Merab is fucking exhausting.

27 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I don't disagree. But I don't know if he thinks that. And more importantly the risk to gain ratio is much better with Topuria. Have a stand up fight with no risk of losing your title, with the chance to be a two weight champion. OR hope your takedown defense lasts against someone who has an infinite motor, with a chance that your title reigns quickly and you just become the charismatic second best fighter in your division.

Merab is fucking exhausting.

Dana isn't even entertaining the Topuria fight, which tells you a lot. I think people feel more confident he beat Merab than just jump a weight class without ever fighting a quality featherweight. As much as I like or love Merab, because he's had to wait for Aljo's time at the top, he's fought a bunch of guys who likely would never be champ or whose time has kinda passed. The only guy I would say, "Damn, that a hell of a name to have on your resume" is Petr Yan. That's a guy truly in his prime. Thing is Yan is a guy who doesn't give a damn about being taking down cause 50% of what he does is based on scrambles. 2nd would probably be Aldo, but that's an older version of Aldo. Plus, Merab would have to consistently find takedowns. One problem Aljo had against O'Malley is O'Malley just kinda shook him off with ease and Aljo is a pretty good wrestler. I think Aljo thought O'Malley would go down easily once he attempted a single. That didn't happen at all and threw him off. It's going to be intriguing cause the Longo camp knows that didn't work the first time, and Tim Welch knows the O'Malley camp should be centered all around getting back if need be and trying absolutely paste Merab.