DVDVR Message Board

Collision - 6/17/2023

24 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Which is a good thing, right? People can change, and also he's playing a heel here, maybe a year or two before the consensus changed to where you can't say bigoted things even in character.

He could well still be a real piece of shit in a lot of ways, some would argue he has repeatedly proved he is, but I don't see any reason to think he's being insincere about supporting LGBTQ+ and women's rights.

And if he is, if more influential people vocally supported those rights in the way he's been doing, even while secretly not meaning it, the world would still be a better place.

One of the things that frustrates me about society as a whole is that we don't often give forgiveness for past actions, and the LGBTQ+ community and their allies - especially their allies - aren't very good about letting things go from years and years ago. I remember when Punk was one of the first public supporters of Laura Jane Grace's transition back in 2012, and that video making the rounds back then, and now it's 11 years after he did that and close to 12 years after the incident happened and people still bring it up.

Because you get no forgiveness, there's no chance for growth, one mistake or bad action or bad decision you made is crystalized.

Which doesn't make sense, because we all grow as people, right? We all change? I hope so.

EDIT TO ADD: The only one who is ever owed an apology or can deem forgiveness is the person hurt by another person's actions. I've seen plenty of people bring up something where the harmed party has forgiven the person who harmed them, but we're still supposed to be upset that the harm occurred, and it's like... why am I supposed to be upset about this if the person who was most impacted has forgiven them? Bringing it up just stirs more trouble.

I don't think it's very productive to expect perfection from people who want to be supportive of human rights, and if someone has pivoted from being wrong and is demonstrating that they are a better person than who they were years ago, maybe let's stop trying to rub salt in long-closed wounds? I don't keep a rankings for perfect allies, and since I'm both queer and trans you'd think I'd get two lists, but I don't even have any lists. I just have a headache.

Edited by Sparkleface
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

How fucking awesome was that Buddy Matthews Meteora?  Holy shit.. 

And how sweet of Andrade to pay tribute to his bae by destroying Buddy's knee with his wife's finisher?

Roosh vs. Malakai Black and Preston Vance vs. Brody King, please.

I am not sure how to feel about Luchasaurus being TNT champion.  I am happy that a Day One guy gets a singles championship run, but Miro is right there deserving of another title shot.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

You can also be [a progressive thinker] and still be an a-hole. They aren't mutually exclusive.  (Trust me on this one) 😀

I know you don't mean it like this but I'm using your post to illustrate that bothsidesism is bullshit.  "OMG some progressive thinking people can be assholes" is nothing compared to the fact that people on the other side want to take away other people's right to exist and some are literally Nazis.

To tie this back to wrestling, the side who is suddenly very vocally anti-trans are just marks being worked by a party that needs a new culture war issue since they can't make political hay from abortion anymore.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

To tie this back to wrestling, the side who is suddenly very vocally anti-trans are just marks being worked by a party that needs a new culture war issue since they can't make political hay from abortion anymore.

On the YouTube app last night I got an unskippable ad for an anti-trans "documentary" produced by Epoch, that is very clearly paid actors pushing a whole lot of hatred

EDIT: this bullshit

• Sad 1

I have nothing to add to this since I was watching The Flash when this was airing. 

But, Trans Rights are Human Rights.   And Admins would be very happy if the Ignore User feature were used more often.

21.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1