DVDVR Message Board

2017 NCAAF: CONF. CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK

Dolfan in NYC

45 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Why not win your conference?  I guess you want everyone to look at this through the "eye test".  I have always felt that if you don't play the extra game during champ week then why is the team being rewarded by not having to play it?  This isn't about Alabama for me because I said the same thing about OSU.   

We'll see what the committee does. I think they will go Bama over OSU. 

It has nothing to do with the eye test.  That Ohio State lost by 30 to a 5-loss team is empirical fact.  Nothing subjective about it.

The conference championship mandate is silly and arbitrary because not all conferences, nay, not even all divisions, are created equal.  Alabama didn't play for a championship simply because it had the misfortune of sharing a division with a Top 4 team (heading into this weekend) on a year where they had to travel to that team's home field and lost.  On the flip side, take for example, Miami which also dropped a late season game, but to a far inferior opponent with a losing record....yet they still got to go to a conference championship game and play for a likely automatic berth in the playoffs because they play in a lousy division where nobody else finished with fewer than 3 conference losses.

That's why it's folly to try and make conference championships this ultimate, superseding criteria for the playoffs.  Not all of those championships are created equal.

Oddly enough, this where the Big 12's bizarre, quasi-redundant championship game does it better than the other major conferences.  In that game, you're not watching the "champs" of two artificially grouped divisions. They pit the two best teams in the conference against each other, period.

Buckeyes have two wins better then anything on Bama's resume, but they also have one more loss and that one is ugly as sin.

If it was me, I pick Bama but that might be mostly because my knee jerk reaction is "Fuck Ohio"

If I had to guess, I think the conference title and two top ten wings are probably going to give Satan the nod over Saban. But I don't be shocked either way. Give the spot to UCF and tell them both to screw.

The #1 team in the country lost a game to Syracuse, who are basically at Rutgers level when it comes to a completely hopeless team. And yes I know the QB got hurt. Whatever, it's still Syracuse. Point being that one bad loss shouldn't sink an otherwise successful season.