DVDVR Message Board

Chavo Guerrero, Cien Caras y Mascara Ano Dos Mil vs. Lizmark, El Satanico y Rayo De Jalisco Jr. (10/20/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

I didn't care for this one, it just wouldn't come together for me.  Chavo and Satanico were at each other and as great as that sounds you never really got what you want out of them.  Some of Jalisco's comedy spots just fell flat for me and I didn't dig the run of comedy-ish spots toward the end amidst the brawling.  There was one cool part where Lizmark and Dos Mil were wailing on each other around ringside though.  But overall this is a #100 contender for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Everybody throws some hard shots in this one and especially Lizmark, Satanico, and Chavo. This isn't the best Rayo vs Capos stuff you'll see but it's something I find myself getting a kick out of more often than not these days. I'll take Rayo doing cat and mouse comedy spots over main eventers trying to have an epic and failing. The third fall has a fun exchange of trios spots. This didn't have the kind of arc or interesting transitions that hold together a great match and that hurt it but this was still a match that had enough fun spots to keep it away from the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...

The beginning of this is the dirt worst. It's soooooooooo slow for the entire first fall but finally the heels eat it (including Chavo sprinting all the way around the ring to evade capture). Everyone is laying in their strikes but by god is it boring. I'm at tercera caida now and I have had nothing else to say. They all brawl to the outside aside from Satanico and Chavo and I have no clue what Satanico is trying for a submission, he just loosely holds him and pats him on the belly a couple times before they start hitting each other again. Then they do a piss-poor rope running spot where they hit each other and I am ready to throw the remote. It finally ends and I was saying out loud to myself "when is this going to end" well before it does. My active #100 and probably the only match I have been not only disappointed but mad at on the set. It's Hermanos, Lizmark, a Guerrero, and fucking SATANICO, how do you stink it up this hard. So lackluster. I didn't expect much from Rayo, his schtick is fine in small doses, but jeez. Nobody was trying here.

• 11 months later...

I didn't hate this match nearly as much as everyone else so far.  I thought Chavo and Satanico were great throughout, very intense and violent.  I'd love to see a singles match with those two.  I liked the moment where the two opponents were wrapped up in some sort of hold, and their respective teammates took turns stomping away at the opponent.  I liked Jalisco's schtick in the first fall pretty well, but it was more contrived when he did it in the second fall.  The third fall had a lot of crazy violence, including the rudo launching himself over the top rope to land on Lizmark as he is draped over the side of the ring.  Chavo's bulldog is nice, as is the mask-ripping.  Headlocks for all was kind of cool, as were the multi-person submission attempts.  This is definitely in my top half.  Maybe not top 20 as I initially thought, as the negative reaction from other viewers may temper my enthusiasm for this.  But only slightly.  I enjoyed this.

Count me on the "not hating this" side of the argument. I didn't see this as a possible top 20 either, this is probably a lower half match on my ballot but not in the basement. There was some cool moments in this although it did feel directionless and random at times. I liked some of Rayo's goofy shit, the headlock train and there was some good stuff between Satanico & Chavo. I'm also a sucker for 3+ person submissions so I was digging the third fall. My biggest disappointment with this match was that the headlock train didn't end with a chain reaction of guys getting sent into the ropes.