DVDVR Message Board

Super Mario Makin

twiztor

How do I just start mario at the part of the level I'm editing so I don't have to go all the way through to see how things are reacting?  I swear they did this in videos I've seen.

Okay you hit the clapboard in the bottom.  That was driving me nuts I was trying every button.

DD58-0000-0044-F146 Mario World underground level with many secrets.

While waiting for the Metal Gear update to download, I finally jumped on Mario Maker. First thing I did was go through the topic and "follow" the 3 or 4 of you that have posted a level code. Haven't actually played any of your stuff yet (because Metal Gear finished updating), but at least now I can find it easy.

CE88-0000-006C-2F7E.

I've only had it a couple days and I wanted to make the sort of level that's difficult but not cheap/bastardly. The world has quite enough of those.

The avatar/mii is MAI WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE as she registered the WiiU before I had a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

626D-0000-003A-D426 NSMB castle.

That level is evil. But I'm the first person to have beaten it.

Well, second, since you had to beat it to post it. But I'm the one in 55 and one.

PROTIP: Take out the two Hammer Bros, one by one, and then it's pretty trivial.

You make good levels, dude. I also enjoyed Pow! Right In The Kisser.

Finally figured out the trick to this one after a ton of tries. Very nice level, evil but satisfying once you figure it out.

I massively lost interest once I read that you need 50 stars to upload more than 10 levels.

Sadly, same here. I'm not going to take down levels I put a lot of time into just to get more stars. I'll just leave them up till I get 50.

I read 40. I take things down if nobody gets into them. Try this y'all, I think it's cool.

6285-0000-008C-D201

As someone who has no interest in making levels hearing about this thing about needing 50 stars has helped me get into it.

Firstly it seems like a half decent counter to the threat of being overwhelmed by crappy levels like people were afraid of before release, and also it fits in with how Nintendo have been framing the game. Like, it's not a minecraft do what you want lego set because there's a goal and that goal is working to make something that other people enjoy. The text in the game doesn't tantalise about all the things you can do with the tools or how you can express your precious creativity it talks about how to defeat the Big Bad Boss of realising other people aren't necessarily going to like what you think they're going to like. This is a trial and error process where you have to put your pride to one side and deleting some of your babies makes sense when you've twigged you're working for other people not the other way round. If this is in any way a game designer simulator, then 'I'll just leave my levels up until people like them' should not be a way to progress. Without any plans to make levels of my own I'll never know how the thrill of seeing people around the world enjoy my work compares to the more usual kinds of gaming victories.

Secondly, I started off going through levels distinctly unimpressed that they were all below the usual Nintendo standard and treating my stars like they were precious accolades reserved only for the best. Now I know what affect the stars have I'm a lot happier to give them out, and I think there's a bit of a psychological loop whereby the more I compliment people's levels the more appreciative I find myself being of them. Instead of just leeching from other people's efforts like I normally would with crowd-sourced content I feel I can give something useful back. Hopefully in some small way these gestures will spur others on to more levels in some kind of perpetual encouragement / reward spiral. The kind a game about people working for each other is surely hoping for.

100 Mario challenge expert mode is a great little platforming dungeon crawler.

If I play a level and an invisible block causes me inconvenience in any way, that's an insta-skipping. Surprise surprise it turns out that invisible blocks are only welcome when they're in places I already wanted them to be.

As for feedback, assfax's levels always seem childish and messy and something I don't want to enjoy but always seem to. I am really fond of The Amazing Flying Pirahna Bros! and I'm imagining an Alien > Aliens type sequel where it's a little bit bigger and maybe they're a little further apart or it's otherwise less claustrophobic (but would it lose its edge????? No idea)

Mario Maker drunken thoughts:

*i had a grand plan to re-make a level from a popular game series (Zelda, CastleVania, Mega Man, etc.) but i'm lazy and never made it that far. also, other people already did that and i was less than impressed so it dissuaded me a bit. it'll probably still happen eventually.

*i pretty much never give out stars unless i actually LOVE a level. i've probably sampled a hundred (not counting 100 Mario mode) and have given out like 5 stars.

*the levels that require jumping off flying enemies with specific timing are the ones that i hate the most. probably because i'm not very good at it, but i will immediately skip/quit/curse that level endlessly. 

-alternately, a level that requires precise timing and a little bit of thought i will obsess over until i beat it, and then i feel ridiculously triumphant. clever levels are my fave.

*what's up with all the rollercoaster levels? like, i get that they take a lot of planning, but they're completely pointless.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...