DVDVR Message Board

UFC 174: Johnson vs. Bagautinov (6/14/2014) - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Rogers Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_174_Johnson_vs._Bagautinov_Poster.jp

UFC 174: Johnson vs. Bagautinov

June 14, 2014

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Rogers Arena)

UFC Flyweight Championship: Demetrious Johnson © (125) vs. Ali Bagautinov (124.5) (fourth defense) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)

Rory MacDonald (171) vs. Tyron Woodley (170.5) - MacDonald, DEC (unanimous)

Ryan Bader (205) vs. Rafael Cavalcante (204.5) - Bader, DEC (unanimous)

Andrei Arlovski (249.5) vs. Brendan Schaub (238) - Arlovski, DEC (split)

Ryan Jimmo (204.5) vs. Ovince St. Preux (205.5) - St. Preux, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:10)

FX Preliminary Card:

Daniel Sarafian (170) vs. Kiichi Kunimoto (171) - Kunimoto, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:52)

Valérie Letourneau (134.5) vs. Elizabeth Phillips (135) - Letourneau, DEC (split)

Yves Jabouin (136) vs. Mike Easton (135) - Jabouin, DEC (unanimous)

Kajan Johnson (155) vs. Tae Hyun Bang (156) - Bang, KO (punch), R3 (2:01)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Roland Delorme (135) vs. Michinori Tanaka (135) - Tanaka, DEC (unanimous)

Jason Saggo (155.5) vs. Josh Shockley (155.5) - Saggo, TKO (punches), R1 (4:57)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Tae Hyun Bang

Performance of the Night: Kiichi Kunimoto

Fight of the Night: Kajan Johnson vs. Tae Hyun Bang

Attendance: 13,506

Gate: $1.14 million

Buyrate: 90,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Germaine de Randamie vs, Milana Dudieva - De Randamie Visa Issues

Valérie Létourneau vs. Milana Dudieva - Injury to Dudieva

Guest Edwin

Prelims are pretty weak aside from Delorme/Michi which should be interesting.

Solid main card though, particularly looking forward to the top 2 fights. Hoping Ali can pull off the win, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Sarafian vs. Strasser Kunimoto is the strangest fight you can headline the FX portion with. Biggest platform for the prelims you could ask for and that's the 645th best possible fight you can come up with.

• Like 1

Has anyone else had this much working against them in a world title fight than Ali Bagautinov? First off, VISA issues force him to have a shortened camp at Jackson's. Then, Rustam beats him up the first week there. The cherry on top now is Mike Winklejohn has chosen John Dodson over him (in case Ali somehow wins) and is cornering Damacio Page this weekend instead flying to Vancouver. This is the opposite you would be hoping for when facing perhaps the most consistent top fighter in the organization.

Guest Edwin

I wouldn't say that's accurate.

The first guy to land a punch will win by KO though in the battle of the glass jaws.

Who buys this PPV? I just don't see how this sells like 200,000. 

I hope Arvloski KO's Schaub, but everything else I'm kinda eh whatever about. 

minus the main event, i'm pretty psyched for this card. we don't get to see the big boys often enough.

as previously stated, can't wait to see Arlovski. Jimmo/OSP seems like a perfectly good fight. Cavalcante/Bader is very interesting too.

McDonald/Woodley could go either way. boring or awesome.

Watching the Countdown show in between World Cup matches, I found something pretty interesting about Bader/Feijao. Bader was a little candid about how Power MMA was justing hiring coaches who weren't particularly good and how he has brought in Jose Benavidez (his son Jose Jr. is a pretty decent boxing prospect) as a coach. Benavidez noted what was wrong with the positioning of his hands, and you can see some improvement with his technique. Then, you see Feijao hit pads and it's southern California day and pitch black night in fucking Alaska. The difference in hand speed and accuracy is frightening. Feijao has him slightly in the power department. But when you see the actual fight footage, both of them are sloppy overhand shot happy. Because both guys have ginormous upper bodies, it makes it even harder to throw straight punches. You would favor Feijao watching the Countdown easily, but it could take one looping hook to the temple from either guy.

• Like 1

Feijao, one dimensional as fuck and yet I still feel like Bader got lucky that he wasn't clipped harder than he was in the third round.

Not sure what they do with Bader. He's pretty much securing gatekeeper status as the guy who will never be good enough to beat the champ, but won't lose to others on their way up.

Not sure what they do with Bader. He's pretty much securing gatekeeper status as the guy who will never be good enough to beat the champ, but won't lose to others on their way up.

Easy. Continue to be a gatekeeper.