DVDVR Message Board

Last Navajo Code Talker Dies at 93

odessasteps

They were treated badly by the government in general. Here in NM, they were treated like royalty as they should have been. The 4th of July parade is always inspiring, with a bunch of guys in their 80s and 90s marching the full length of the parade route. I remember a time when most adult men I knew were WWII vets, now they're mostly gone... Blows my mind to think that my dad would have been 93 and my uncle 99. My dad was treated pretty badly by the civilian sector, he'd spent years in school to be a bio-chemist (which is what he did in the Army), was in for the full duration of the war and when he came home, none of the big chemical companies would hire him because they wanted younger guys straight out of college; so he wound up working for the Post Office for thirty years.

He had all his chemistry stuff in the basement and I used to have a grand time playing with mercury and making sulfuric acid... My early love of chemistry served me very well in high-school... I'd say more but I don't know if the statute of limitations applies...