DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Tokusatsu Talk!

J.H.

For those who want their Super Sentai, a fansub group called Imagintation Station are subbing Bakaryu Sentai Abaranger. Abaranger is insanly fun and tkinda dark (especially once Abarekiller is introduced). Ironically, the most recent episodes released introduce Abarekiller... SO GO WATCH THEM~!

James

And they kick things up a couple hundred notches this week for GARO Makai No Hana Ep 7. We get a bad ass super fight in outer space, Raiga gains the ability to summon Gouten and we get the first bit of explanation on what happened to Kouga & Kaoru. Pretty much guaranteed they'll appear some time down the line actually because no way they tease that plot point

(they mysteriously vanished into another dimension when Raiga was a child but are probably still alive, just no one knows why/how/where)

and not deliver on a resolution. 

I got Goten, the Garo Zanbaken and 3 dope fights!

I LOVED Makai No Hana episode 7 so much I want to take it out behind the hgh school and get it pregnant!

James

I picked up on that right away simply by the voice and lens color of the eyes on the helmet. Same actor played Kamen Rider GAOH in the Kamen Rider Den-O movie. He's great at being a badass!

James

Pretty good follow up ep this week. Little more on the dark/horror themed side. Think this might be the first time we've ever gotten horror infested children. Considering they had to shoot a big fight sceen with Raiga taking on a bunch of kids & old ppl, they did a good job covering for the fact that you can't really beat up kids & old ppl. Horror design itself is one of my favorites so far, reminded me of Howl's Moving Castle. 

I'm calling it now, plot twist at the end of the series, Mayuri ends up with Gonza :)

Hey, J.H. do you know of any sites that are streaming GARO Season 1? I have a friend that wants to check it out but downloading/torrents wouldn't really be an option. 

tried youtube & came up pretty empty handed

most of what I found on Dailymotion was unsubbed

I do believe its up on youtube as well Veoh

Hmmm, maybe i'm starting to just suck at the internet but I can't find it for the life of me. 

Like all the other seasons and movies/specials are coming up in my search EXCEPT the original first season.  

Probably hurts that that one didn't have a distinguishing title like "makai senki" or "yami wo tesaru"

This weeks episode of Makai No Hana was super creepy... I fuckin loved it!

haha, they totally upped the creepiness even higher this week. Reminds me of that ep from season 1 with the guy who had the crazy mermaid girlfrednd though this ep was much better. Twist at end was cool and surprising

also Amemiya was trolling like hell with

nude woman appering in 90% of the ep but purposely not showing boobs then at the end bam, room full of nekid ladies.....thought he was losing his touch there for a second :)

• Like 1

Yeah, can't believe all this time Gonza had him a secret Makai Priest woman on the side. 

Fun episode this week coming after 2 straight dark/creepy stories. The Horror fight took a big backseat this time but I didn't mind. What little we saw of the Horror I dug though just because it reminded me of the Bombs from the Final Fantasy series. 

Hell, I didn't even notice until the episode was over but we never even saw an apperance from GARO at all. 

Looking forward to next week since the plot revolves around Manga somehow. 

Also just realised that if they continue the pattern established with previous seasons, we've only got 2 or 3 more episodes before they kick the plot into high gear and get to the REALLY good shit. 

Apparently Toei is holding a press conference today to unveil the 17th Heisei era Kamen Rider. All signs point to it being called Kamen Rider Drive. Once I have a pic of him I'll post it

James

We shall see, provided, GAIM has been excellent so far to make up for Wizard's mediocrity. I was not expecting Gen Urobochi's follow-up to Puella Magica Madoka to be a fruit themed Kamen Rider. Even more, I wasn't expecting it to be the darkest a Rider show has been since at least 555 or BLADE.

James

I liked parts of Wizard but felt it really dragged in the middle. The Koyomi story was picked up in early episodes and then picked up again at the end as if to say "Oh hey, we totally forgot the main story". Mind you that wasn't the writers fault, it was the actress who played Koyomi not making Wizard her priority (notice how she i absent or has minimal screen time during the middle episodes). Truth be told, The defining moment from the show didn't even come from Wizard but from Beast as his releasing of Chimera to stop the Sabbath was fucking dope!

James

This week's GARO was probably one of the most fun and creative episodes. I like the little touches, like the manga artist essentially being  a Horror possessed Osamu Tezuka (minus Tezuka's immense imagination). Still the story in this series needs to kick into high gear soon. Unless Mayuri mentions that horror isn't from "the slab" I totally forget that "the slab" is the main story hook for the show. Ialso liked Raiga mentioning Kaoru, reminding us that she was a painter, not that we forgot but more of a point of reference for the theme of the episode (i.e. artistic talent).

James

Yeah enjoyed this one a lot

like the manga artist essentially being  a Horror possessed Osamu Tezuka

Ah so that's who it was. I kinda figured they had to be either mocking or paying homage to someone with this ep.

Now what I really wanna know is who they based the artis of "licking candies" off of, figures something like that would be the #1 seller

Still the story in this series needs to kick into high gear soon 

yeah, like I said last week i'm sure it's coming in another 2 or 3 more eps (depending on if we get a mid season recap special). I actually think one of the major pluses of this series is that they didn't go too heavy with hinting at the main plot early on. 

That had sometimes been a hinderance with previous seasons to me. They'd go for example "so & so is cursed and gonna die very soon buuuuttttt let's not worry about that for now and fight a random tree monster or something instead."

The fact that nothing cataclismic and urgently dangerous is looming yet makes it a lot easier to enjoy these side stories. 

Plus GARO has enough built up cred with me that I know that they'll deliver something kick ass when they do kick things into gear and that i'm fairly certain when they're going to do it so i'm just enjoying the ride for now. 

Helps that these are some of the best MOTW eps in the franchise history too

Keita Amemiya wrote and directed this week's GARO - Makai No Hana and it possibly one of the best things he has ever directed. A very different GARO episode to say the least. Its the calm before the storm it seems, as next week we finally get the meat of the story about the obelisk

James

Liked this weeks ep but wasn't huge on it. They did this exact ep in Makai Senki only it was far cooler back then in terms of the mystical world we got to see. 

Heck, we didn't even get to see the Spirit Beast this time, just left up to the imagination. 

as next week we finally get the meat of the story about the obelisk

Did you get that from the preview at the end of the ep or somewhere else? I watched next weeks preview a few times in a row and couldn't tell much of anything about what specifically the plot is going to be about except Mayuri will finally get to be more involved. 

K so yeah, this weeks ep didn't do much to further the main plot at all but damn was it good. One of my favorites of the series with some strong character development for Mayuri and Crow.

Interesting to see the ultra high lvl of respect for GARO is aparently a clan wide thing and not just a trait of Crow alone.

Mayuri's depressed look at the end = most heart breaking sad face EVER. You literally just want to hug her and tell her "it's ok, there there, it'll be allright" :(

Not sure how I feel about the new opening song, it wasn't horrible but didn't blow me away on first listen either. Seemed too sped up. New ending theme I like a lot.

Preview for next episode looks good but also doesn't appear we'll get any major plot developments in this one either. 

Sucks they're taking a 1 week break so it won't air until the 11th.