DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Tokusatsu Talk!

J.H.

The Kamen Rider GAIM body count thus far:

Hase (Kamen Rdier Kurokage Episode 14)

Takatora Kureshima (Kamen Rider Zangetsu Episode 36)

Mai (Keeper of the Golden Fruit Episode 42-43)

Kota Kazuraba (Kamen Rider GAIM Episode 43)

That last one probably isn't going to last just based on the next episode preview for episode 44. I really thought I had this whole thing figured about how it would end but that has just been shot to hell what with what happened to Kamen Rider BARON and Micchy having the absolute KING-SIZED mental breakdown. Atthis point I've got no clue what the epilogue for this show could possibly be

James

Another bad ass horror I wish could have gotten a longer run this week on GARO. Horror who can summon Makai Knight armour and likes to kill & eat other horrors is a concept you can get some mileage out of. Anways, last of of the slab horros is defeated so shits on now. 

Not sure what to make of GARO ep 22. We get the big reveal of who's behind trying to revive Eiris and why but it's a little dissapointing that they go with such a cliched plot twist. They could have done a lot more with the teased Crow heel turn too. 

I've enjoyed this season a lot and still am (I liked this ep for the most part actually) but i'm no longer holding out a lot of hope for some big epic finale this time around like in seasons past. 3 eps left so we'll see. 

but i'm no longer holding out a lot of hope for some big epic finale this time around like in seasons past. 3 eps left so we'll see.

And looks like I may have spoke too soon as Ep 23 ramps everything up a thousand degrees and FINALLY kicks the show into high gear.

Wicked Bones Giru 

Surprise swerve of Crow getting possesed by Eiris

and Mayuri suddenly being all kinds of emotional

That giant fire ball / comet falling out of the sky in the next episode preview better not be what I think it is

With Kamen Rdier GAIM having wrapped up its story this week (1 episode left and its more of an epilogue/Gaiden) I can say that this was the BST Rider show I've enjoyed since AGITO. I mean I still love OOO and the epressing ending of 555 but GAIM... sweet merciful crap!

If you're a toku fan and haven't watched GAIM, you absolutely should!

James

That moment when I finally get the first ToQger OST... only to find that one piece of music that plays during the Henshin/Roll call isn't even on it!

I shudde to think I've got until OST 2 comes out

James

That giant fire ball / comet falling out of the sky in the next episode preview better not be what I think it is

K, thankfully it wasn't. For a sec there I thought that's how they were going to bring back Kouga. 

What it did end up being was pretty holy shit though, can't say I saw that coming at all. 

Another great episode coming off last week.

Big battle with Eiris went down which means time for everyone's favorite GARO staple, giant naked demon chick rampaging about.

The conclusion to the Raiga/Crow battle was pretty satisfying too.

1 Episode to go so we'll see if they finish strong.

Did you ever end up catching up on this one JH or just been too busy / lost interest?

I still have to catch up. A few things got lost along the way, leaving only room for GAIM on a weekly basis. Things should slow down enough to allow me to catch up on GARO, ToQger and Stardust Crusaders by the middle of October. Of course I'll be watching Kamen Rider LAW & ORDER when that starts (my little pet name for Kamen Rdier DRIVE) but I always stick through the new Rider for the season no matter how bad it can get (lookin' at you WIZARD , KIVA and DECADE!)

James

Things should slow down enough to allow me to catch up on GARO, ToQger and Stardust Crusaders by the middle of October.

Since this is the first GARO series i've had to watch on a weekly basis i've actually thought a lot recently if it would make any diffrence in how I viewed it if I got to marathon watch large batches instead like I did all the others. 

GARO FINAL was pretty satisfying and about what you'd exspect in terms of wrapping up the story for the season.

Minor complaint

it was lame as fuck when GARO busted out this sweet looking gigantic golden wolf sword, mows through a bunch of shit but then when he gets to Eiris all of a sudden the sword has reverted to it's original form and he stabs he with that.

Other then that I enjoyed it. 

It's been quite the journey plowing through the entire franchise over the last 6 months and I was just thinking how weird it's going to be now that i've caught up with everything but then bam, commercial at the end of the episode reminding me that the GARO anime is starting in 3 days :)

Still, not sure what Toku show i'll watch next or when. Guess i'll have to go back through James recoomendations from earlier now. 

I've mentioned it before but i'm really hoping we get another season next year with this new cast as there's still a bunch of unanswered questions and so much of the show felt like it was setting the stage for things to come. 

There is supposed to be a movie and second season Yami Wo Terasu Mono, so there is plenty of GARO still to come.

All I can say is try GAIM now that its completed or AGITO (though TVN hasn't subbed that fully). Non-GARO/Non-Rider stuff?

I'm a sucker for Sh15ya and Sexy Voice & Robo.

If you want a crack at Super Sentai find a good sub of Dairanger or just just jump in feet first with hinkenger (these are considered by most to be the BEST Super Sentai as far as tone and story)

James

Caught up on GARO: Makai No Hana

Sweet crap did that end on a good note after beign mostly mediocre. I was fucking psyched when Berserk GARO appeared, showing that the mythos of the series can and will be drawn upon for good effect. Of course we get another GARO armor upgrade, while poor Rei can barely beat a mid-level horror in is own mini-series. Still, a great finish and its open ended for a sequel or movie.

James

• 2 weeks later...

First 2 episodes of Kamen Rdier DRIVE were ok. I liked the second episode better than the first. This might end up being a more gimmicked Rider than FOURZE, and I didn't think that was possible. I like the idea of the villains evolving when they find the right victim. I also like that Shinnosuke is a detective that pieces together things to figure what the ROIDMUDE are after. I'm already calling it now though... Kamen Rider MACH will be Hayase, Shinnosuke's injured partenr!

I fear Mashin Chase will end up being a minor rival like Phoenix was for WIZARD

James

• 2 weeks later...

and the new Super Sentai team for next year is named... Shuriken Sentai Ninninger!

Thiswill be the 3rd Ninja themed Sentai after Ninja Sentai Kakuranger and Ninpu Sentai Hurricanger. I can only pray for a 3 Ninja Sentai team V-Cinema!

James

• 5 weeks later...

7 New GARO Projects!

In honor of GARO's 10th Anniversary 7 NEW GARO projects were announced. First the anime gets a second season and movie. The cast of Makai No Hana returns for a movie plus a Crow Mini. The big news is a new season for cast of Yami No Terasu Mono calledd GOLDSTORM.. Finally Amemiya is apparently writing a GARO opera... sweet crap what a way to celebrate 10 years of GARO!

Teaser for GOLDSTORM

James

Was just coming here to talk about this

The cast of Makai No Hana returns for a movie plus a Crow Mini

Didn't see a Crow mini mentioned in the article, did you mean the Biku spin off?

Anyways, of the 3 current....universes, Makai no Hana is my favorite so i'm most excited for the movie they're getting. Little disapointed no anouncement of another tv season for them but i'm sure it'll be coming on the next round so maybe 2016???

The anime getting a 2nd season and movie is pretty great news too. I'm behind a few weeks now but i've really enjoyed it so far. Though now I wonder Is the 1st season 13 eps or 26?

Yami is of course my least favorite, we allready knew way back that they were getting the movie and 2nd season but I haven't been excited about it at all. Though learning that Amemiya is directing the movie gives me a lot more hope now. 

• 1 month later...

Nobuhiko Takada is going to be playing Black Shogun in the next Super Hero Taisen movie!

His time as Generalissimo was obviously his form of method acting!

Kamen Rider 3 v. Black Shogun better be all UEFi style!

James

• 4 weeks later...

and so ends Ressha Sentai ToQger, a show that at times was utterly silly but once they silliness vanished well ToQger might be the best Sentai since Shinkenger. No joke, those last 10 episodes were just intense but fun as hell to watch. The last episode is open ended enough for a sequel movie/V-Cinema to be done to wrap loose ends. Will that happen?

Probably not but the way they had Emperor Zett lose to Rainbow ToQ1... well Bandai/Toei would be stupid not to follow up this story.

So now that ToQger is done we are back to ninjas next week with the debut of Shuriken Sentai Ninninger. I'm already psyched for this show becasue the last 2 ninja themed Sentai were 2 of my favorite!

Hames

• 2 weeks later...

So first episode of Ninninger was... interesting.

They unveiled the Mecha in the first episode and the fight between the enlarged monster and individual mecha was so odd. It was like a DDT match!

I mean the main mecha is comprised of a wolf, a dump truck, a ninja robot, a snake robot and they are adding a UFO robot to it as well. Also the ninja robot sits in the chest like a cockpit while the Ninninger's are in the ninja robot in the actual cockpit. It's very odd.

The main fight scenes were fun though. It seems that the trend for Super Sentai for the last 2 years has been to start super goofy and then slowly build the drama and gloom. It worked ok for Kyoryuger (but that show suffered from abandoned storylines and an out of nowhere romance between the red and pink Kyoryugers, who had no actual chemistry onscreen )but it is definitely what made ToQger better the longer it went.

James