DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Tokusatsu Talk!

J.H.

Sweet crap can we get to the main story already?

As far as respect for the one who holds the title of GARO, it was something that was always hinted at in the other Kouga era shows. Whenever a lower priest or low ranking Makai Knight met him there was always that "Show respect to the one who holds the title of GARO". Crow might be the first titled Makai Knight that hasn't been outwardly antagonistic to the GARO title holder in the show's history

James

Sweet crap can we get to the main story already?

heh, this show's really tried your patience huh? You've been ready for them to get to the main plot since like the 3rd or 4th week :)

Whenever a lower priest or low ranking Makai Knight met him there was always that "Show respect to the one who holds the title of GARO".

Yeah but these guys are a bit over the top with it almost

Crow being sooooo nice automatically makes me think he obviously has some evil scheme going on and will turn on Raiga 

Speaking of swerves. 

My "Mayuri & Gonza end up in love" prediction got blown because of Gonza's secret girlfriend running in but I have a new prediction for Mayuri after thinking some more about this weeks ep and what they hinted at

Mayuri will either end up as the top heel for the end of the show or be possesed by the top heel because of all the Horrors she's absorbing. They practically guaranteed something like this will happen with their lines at the end of the episode

In other Toku...

After nearly 8 episodes of dullness ToQger is in on track again with the the intro of ToQ6. The fact that he's an ex-Shadow and his own Shadow appeaance as well as human one is great. His power makes for a great visual gag and opens up possibilities in combat.

Mind you, he is no DekaBreak or Dragon Ranger but so few 6th Rangers are

James

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks of waiting for new GARO is finally over and they don't disapoint with ep 14. You should be happy James as this ep actually did a ton to advance the main plot. We get our first major encounter with Eiris of the season and establish that they're going to have to hunt down a few more major Horrors to finish her off. 

Preview for next week was....confusing. Can't tell if we're getting a recap ep, a filler ep or something major is going to go down. I'm all for more focus on Gonza though

New opening song is growing on me a little. I still don't like it but I don't dislike it as much as I did upon 1st listen. New Ed theme i'm loving more & more. 

Caught up on GARO. Enjoyed the backgroundepisode on Mayuri but really liked the Gonza episode a lot. Gonza has been the one constant in the main GARO timeline and this season has done a great job of fleshing him out more.

James

Wow, who'd you find that subbed the Gonza ep so fast or did you watch it RAW?

I go through TV Nihon but they always release on late Thurs/early Fri... which is still a pretty quick turn around of less then 1 week...

Finally saw it, kinda meh to me. 

This was a decently cool new spin on the concept but i'm really not a fan of recap eps and it seems like poor timing to cram this in as the 15th ep right when things were getting going the week before. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened but i'm not anticipating it, atleast not this season (it's reasonable to assume this won't be the last right?)

If his wiki is correct, the actor playing him is in his early 60's and after this weeks ep, thinking about the timeline at minimum Gonza the character has to be in his late 60's to early 70's by now having served 3 generations of the family. 

If nothing else, no way is he getting killed off before Kouga & Kaoru come back. 

Pretty good episode this week, usually I don't mind the 1 & dones too much but  I really loved this weeks horror and wish she could have stuck around for a while as a main character. 

Not getting to actually see Mayuri on the roller coaster felt like a jip, super scary ghost Mayuri almost made up for it tho

One consequence of the increased focus on Gonza I think is that Zaruba's been watered down a lot and has added fuck all of note this season (did we even get any cool fire sword sceens yet? I can't remember). I wonder if they knew they were gonna squeez another 8+ years outta this franchise when they killed off/erased the memory of OG Zaruba 1.0 at the end of season 1. Kinda seems like a mistake now in hindsight. 

I don't know what's been anounced but it's feeling more and more like we're going to get a 2nd season with this cast now. 

9 eps left and WAY too many loose ends to wrap up without doing a super rush job. 

Rei guest apperance was sweet, another great ep this season. Trying to figure out if the un named makai preistess was someone we're supposed to know or a new character & if she is or isn't related to Rei in some way bugged the hell out of me however. 

Kept thinking it would be great to get a Jabi or Rekka cameo after this but they're introducing thier new generation equivilent next ep so that'll be cool too. 

If I had to pick the Toku of the year it is far and away Kamen Rider GAIM. Its a show that rises above it goofy concept to be dramatic, at times dark but never treating its audience as stupid (no matter how stupid the main character is). Its right up there with OOO and W for best 2nd wave Heisei show and possibly even as great as Kuuga or AGITO (which ar ethe 2 best overall Heisei shows).

6 episodes left and episode 40 has some big plot points and Biblical references. I love this fuckin show!

James

Another great ep this week, fallen Makai knight has always delivered in the past with this series, though I do wish we could have gotten a little back story on how/why he joined the dark side. 

Our Garo Makai Priestest for this season Bikuu made for a fine addition to the cast. A little more like Jabi then Rekka but diffrent then both. They had to be trolling with her costume design though. Breast plate armor in the shape of an exposed boob? Really?

7 eps left and they're cutting down slab horrors left & right now. 1 this week, another next so they're not messing around anymore...

Next weeks ep looks like it could be the most insane ep in franchise history based off the preview.

Next weeks ep looks like it could be the most insane ep in franchise history based off the preview.

Well.....this was not the most insane ep ever afterall, little disapointing actually. Not that it was a bad ep, just not anything overly special or memorable about it except for the ending sceen and the fact that the horror this week was from the slab.  Felt like a filler ep really, could have just as easily been episode 5 as it was ep 19. 1 more slabby to go before they get to Eiris now.

I'm behind by 3 episodes.

Next weeks ep is based around a giant robot/tetsujin. You gotta catch up in time for that right?

So this weekend was Power Morphicon and it seems a little bit of history was made as Austin St. John aka Jason, the original Red Ranger from MMPR met Yuuta Mochizuki aka Geki Tyranno Ranger from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger.

Sadly neither could pull off their transformations without a flub here and there...

James

• Like 1

GARO Ep 20 is in the books, another stand alone filler ep that doesn't advance the story 1 inch or provide any character development but holy shit was that giant robot cool as fuck :)

My only complaint is given what their opponent was maybe it would have made sense to, ya know, make use of their own giant mechanical beast & armor too. Instead crow didn't even bother to transform and we got like 30 seconds tops of Raiga suited up.  

Of the recent Kamen Riders, I think I liked Wizard the best in terms of the theme, costumes, and the transformations.  I also like that the lead Haruto has a quirkier, off-beat personality.  He sort of reminds me of Decade.  Not sure if it's typical of Kamen Rider for the protagonists to be a little off and weird.