DVDVR Message Board

The All Purpose Tokusatsu Talk!

J.H.

Most of the fighting is out of suit though and hey tend to save the armor sequences for the kiling blow or Blazing Armament fights

The CGI gets upped a little once they introduce Goten

James

Made it to the half way point, ep 14 really seemed like a wasted opportunity for something cool that should have been dragged out longer.

The Gold & Silver knight are forced to team up for the 1st time against their will, they march into a demon portal to take on what they think is going to be 100 Horrors, they end up kind of just casually killing several hundred Horros & destroying a giant tower, decide the whole thing was a trap & they were set up, they march into thier headquarters to confront their bosses, the Silver Knight tries to attack the 3 angel girls and gets punked out by their butler then they just leave in a huff. 

All of this in the span of about 9 mins. 

Well that episode was more about how Kouga and Rei know something isn't right but have no proof, plus it comes right after the previous episode where they introduce Gouten, so it was more about shpwing these Makai Knights are equal in terms of power since Rei also has a Madou Horse and access Blazing Armament. Pieces will astart falling into plae soon.

James 

Well that episode was more about how Kouga and Rei know something isn't right but have no proof

Yeah, I got that part. Still, with the 1st half of the show mostly being built around fighting 1 horror per ep, I couldn't help but be like "[wrestler mode]WTF way to squash your top heels, what a bunch of jobbers now[/wrestler mode]" when they suddenly jumped to killing off several hundred in a few mins like it was no big deal. 

Moving on, up through ep 20 now and the run of the last few episodes has been insanely awesome so that makes up for it, mostly

kinda pissed they killed off BOTH makai preist, especially after we just met them

Finished off the last eps, that ending was pretty damn epic and really everything for about the last 10 eps was too. Almost felt like a diffrent show by the end. 

The CGI gets upped a little once they introduce Goten

Yeah, maybe i'm wrong but this feelt like the kinda show the producers probably didn't have much hope for at 1st and then it caught on mid way through beyond what they were exspecting so they threw a shit ton more money into the budget. Then it kept growing so they said "hey, we're gonna need about 75 sequals & spin offs too"

If you're going to continue with GARO, you can watch SMILE, which is a Kaoru story with no real action. It isn't quite clear where it fits in the timeline (I maintain it takes place right after Kouga gets Goten while other fans say it takes place after the last episode of the TV series). It isn't a must see thing, though you do get to see Silva and Zoruba's human manifestations in the Makai Realm.

Definitely watch "Beast of The White Night" as it is AWESOME and introduces a 3rd Makai Knight. You can watch the RED REQUIEM movie after that. It isn't great but it does introduce characters that play a big role in Makai Senki (the 2nd TV series)

James

If you're going to continue with GARO, you can watch SMILE, which is a Kaoru story with no real action.

Worth it just to hear Echo talk. I'd always assumed he was a foreigner but I was only like 99% sure....

Oh and to confirm the "3 watch dogs" were really just little girls and not just super short chicks....it was hard to tell...

while other fans say it takes place after the last episode of the TV series)

Kaoru had shorter hair in this side story then she did during the tv, other then that it's pretty obvious that it takes place before the ending of the show. She even says it was a dream she had while living with Kouga so....

Definitely watch "Beast of The White Night" as it is AWESOME and introduces a 3rd Makai Knight. You can watch the RED REQUIEM movie after that. It isn't great but it does introduce characters that play a big role in Makai Senki (the 2nd TV series)

White Night I liked but didn't get into until the later half of the film. Rin annoyed me throughout the entirety of it and she was pretty much the top co star of this thing.. Her brother Tsubasa was a completely unlikable putz for most it too and didn't start to approach being cool until the end as well. The plot to bring Jabi back was a bit meh (she wasn't dead afterall, her body was just traped in an evil tree, bah) but they never should have killed her off to begin with & i'm glad she's back so they can have a pass on that one. Legules was a top notch heel though, felt like a real acomplishment when he got defeated since he was singlehandidly kicking the entire cast butt at the same time for a while there......poor guy just wanted a home for his family too, sad....

Red Requiem I liked a lot more, far less bratty little kids and way way way more boobs. Really good as just a straight up no nonsense action film, would have been cool to actually get to see it in 3D. Also got a kick out of the fact that Rekka looks exactly like Mika Nishio. Kouga having to initially argue and or fight with EVERY future ally he meets is starting to get tiresome but that's a minor minor annoyance

I'm pretty sure that was Lunarken (the moth horror) from episode 5

Ah, I wnet back & checked & you are correct. Not sure why she didn't leave a lasting impression on me then. She was only in that ep (in that form) for at most 3 mins but that's no excuse since I remember plenty of others who've had similar or less screen time. 

I'm guessing pervy old Amemiya had a thin for the actress who played Lunarken. Hell, given that GARO is Amemiya's brain child I'm shocked Yuko Moriyama never showed up, since he made 3 movies with her as a lead!

James

Have you seen the Wailing Dragon film? Seems pretty out there for the series from the short clips i've glanced

I'm shocked Yuko Moriyama never showed up, since he made 3 movies with her as a lead

Holy crap, in a search to find out who the heck that is, I just now discovered the live action Zeiram movie. I know you mentioned that a page ago but I didn't put 2 & 2 together that that was the same Zeiram as in "Iria Zeiram the Animation". Kinda mind blown now since that was one of the first anime I ever got to see WAY the fuck back in the Sci Fi channel days. Haven't even thought about it in probably a decade but I wanna go back and watch it again now...

Heh, you might want to actually watch the first Zeiram movie as well (hell watch both). I think Moon Over Tao (the film he did after the 2 Zeiram movies) was Amemiya's best work until he did GARO. We were promised Zeiram 3 over a decade ago but we got GARO instead.... I can't really complain.

James

1 other thing that sorta keeps bugging me about GARO.

Does it ever get addressed what the general public's view about everything that keeps happening is? Does the average person know that Horros & Makai Knights exist? Like the show is sorta written like this is all supposed to be taking place in the shadows of society that know one knows about. But large amounts ppl are routinely kidnapped, disappear or are murdered and more obviously, giant public & private buildings are regularly destroyed during the fights so I would imagine eventually someone would have to go "hey wtf, this doesn't seem normal"

Its probably the one thing that never gets directly addressed until the 3rd TV series (Yami Wo TErasu Mono) and what powers the Makai Priests are actually capable of

James

GARO: Hana No Makai Episode 1 - The perfect way to start another GARO story. Raiga is like a perfect blend of Kouga and Ryuga, hell he is a pretty cocky son of a bitch with a mercurial smile. Somethings that ahve been missing since first season make their return here (like the timer on the armors). They aren't wasting time this season as next episode introduces the second Makai Knight for the season.

The "Wailing Dragon" Movie is different but lots of fun and pretty much the end game for Kouga as GARO as far as I can tell (though the ZERO mini-series is pretty great). The surprise is the Jabi/Rekka movie which ties into "The Wailing Dragon". Have you watched Makai Senki yet FLIK?

James

Just started Makai Senki a few days ago. Up to ep 5. Liking it a lot with the exception of one annoying logic gap.

Kouga gets a giant death seal implanted on his chest and so far, minus checking the new Makai Preist hands when he meets him, he's put almost zero effort into removing it or finding out who infected him with it. You'd think that would be a bigger deal but he's just going about business as usual. 

Somethings that ahve been missing since first season make their return here (like the timer on the armors).

Not heavily featured but they used this in Makai Senki

Also watched Kiba Gaiden, can't quite say what but it felt like it was missing something. Overall a fun little side story though, evil dark Makai Knight is a cool concept that you can do a lot with so it was nice seeing more of him. 

Just finished ep 9, show's started to go into a bit of a lull with only 1 of the last 4 eps having anything to do with the current main plot and 2 of the other 3 eps not even featuring Garo at all and focusing on Zero instead.

As far as filler eps go they're actually pretty good in a stand alone way, and no prob w Zero getting an exspanded role, just seems like a bad time to fit them into the show.

Like they introduced & set the stage for all these cool plot points early on then realized "shit, we've got a 26 week tv contract, gotta stretch this shit out or we'll never make it" and then started scrambling for ideas & greenlit a bunch of fun but wacky shit "how about an evil tree seed and a makeup monster? Yeah go with that shit, throw in some time traveling samurai too"

The show where we find out why & by whom, Zero & Kouga get cursed was well done & pretty bad ass. What this show does well it does REALLY well at this point. 

Half way through the show. Amused that ZERO is pretty much a full, equal co-star at this point with almost every other episode dedicated just to him. I'm guessing it can't be just a coincidence either that he's getting the far more serious MOTW side stories with the ppl who are getting possesed being more fleshed out and sympathetic by the time it comes to cut them down. Also resigned myslef that it's prob going to be a while longer before the main plot gets kicked into high gear, similar to season 1 where the really great stuff didn't start until the last 10 eps. Oh well, Jabi's finally showing up next ep which seems long over due though i'm surprised Rekka didn't get brought in first since they spent all that time early on on her magic fish.