DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Spring 2024

A real bummer for Martinez, who I hoped would be able to rise to the occasion.

He was going with his leg kicks in the first, Aldo checked one and Martinez didn't go back to it again until sometime in the 3rd. I don't think that's necessarily because of the check, but because it became apparent that Aldo was too fast and had figured out his timing.

I knew it was going to be a tough night because I don't think Aldo has looked bad in any of his fights at this weight. He lost steam against Merab and people thought that was age, but now we know everyone loses steam against Merab because he is fucking inhuman.

I think Aldo fights at least once more. They were trying to get Cruz and I think that fight still makes sense for a big show later this year.

How about UNDEFEATED ANTHONY SMITH?! That shit killed me.

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 56: Lewis vs. Nascimento
May 11, 2024
St. Louis, MO (Enterprise Center)

Derrick Lewis (264) vs. Rodrigo Nascimento (265) - Lewis, TKO (punches), R3 (0:49)
Joaquin Buckley (170) vs. Nursulton Ruziboev (170.25) - Buckley, DEC (unanimous)
Alonzo Menifield (205.5)vs. Carlos Ulberg (205) - Ulberg, KO (punches), R1 (0:12)
Carlos Diego Ferreira (155) vs. Mateusz Rębecki (155.25) - Ferreira, TKO (punches), R3 (4:51)
Alex Caceres (145) vs. Sean Woodson (145) - Woodson, DEC (unanimous)
Waldo Cortes-Acosta (262) vs. Robelis Despaigne (262.5) - Cortes-Acosta, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Chase Hooper (155) vs. Viacheslav Borshchev (155) - Hooper, SUB (anaconda choke), R2 (3:00)
Terrance McKinney (155.25) vs. Esteban Ribovics (155) - Ribovics, KO (head kick), R1 (0:37)
Tabatha Ricci (115) vs. Tecia Pennington (115) - Ricci, DEC (split)
Trey Waters (170) vs. Billy Goff (170.25) - Waters, DEC (unanimous)
Jake Hadley (125) vs. Charles Johnson (125.5) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)
JJ Aldrich (125.25) vs. Veronica Hardy (126) - Hardy, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Carlos Diego Ferreira
Performance of the Night: Carlos Ulberg
Fight of the Night: Trey Waters vs. Billy Goff

Attendance: 15,960
Gate: $2.47 million

There are fights that went horribly wrong for someone. Then, there is what happened to Alonzo Menifield tonight. The highest tier.

Just sped through the show to see what I missed.

Chase Hooper absolutely dominated his fight, and I actually think him vs. Paddy would be a really fun matchup. I feel like it won't be on the horizon any time soon, as Paddy is probably looking exclusively at Top 15 guys now until someone shuts him down. Regardless Hooper has leveled up his game, and is still only 24 and could get much better.

Joaquin Buckley had a fun night at the office in front of his home town. Good for him. I actually love the crowd deflating when he said Connor's name. It's so hard to even get Connor to the cage, you might as well call out Richard Nixon or the Dalai Lama.

Derrick Lewis did Derrick Lewis things. National treasure.

GLyiKOdXEAEEMj0.jpg?1713813587

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 99: Barboza vs. Murphy 
May 18, 2024
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Edson Barboza (145.5) vs. Lerone Murphy (146) - Murphy, DEC (unanimous)
Kalinn Williams (170) vs. Carlston Harris (169.5) - Williams, KO (punch), R1 (1:30)
Ramiz Brahimaj (170.5) vs. Themba Gorimbo (170.5) - Gorimbo, DEC (unanimous)
Adrian Yanez (136) vs. Vinicius Salvador (136) - Yanez, TKO (punches), R1 (2:47)
Angela Hill (115.5) vs. Luana Pinheiro (116) - Hill, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (4:12)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Tom Nolan (155.5) vs. Victor Martinez (156) - Nolan, TKO (strikes), R1 (3:50)
Oumar Sy (206) vs. Tuco Tokkos (205.5) - Sy, SUB (face crank), R1 (3:43)
Tamires Vidal (134.5) vs. Melissa Gatto (134.5) - Gatto, TKO (punch to the body), R3 (0:37)
Abus Magomedov (185.5) vs. Warlley Alves (186) - Magomedov, DEC (unanimous)
Piera Rodriguez (116) vs. Ariane Carnelossi (115.5) - Carnelossi, DQ (intentional headbutts), R2 (3:16)
Heili Alateng (136) vs. Kleydson Rodrigues (135.5) - Alateng, DEC (unanimous)
Emily Ducote (115.5) vs. Vanessa Demopoulos (116) - Demopoulos, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Angela Hill
Performance of the Night: Kalinn Williams
Fight of the Night: Edson Barboza vs. Lerone Murphy

Woah. TKO by bewb punch.

Well the woman's fights have been full of surprises and Angela Hill hasn't stepped in yet.

11 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Been a while since I've seen a fighter get DQ'd off of headbutts.

That was very vale tudo-ish. I've seen people try to grind their head into their opponents while in their guard, but that was from the Wanderlei Silva era IVC where guys are getting straight up headbutted.

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Woah. TKO by bewb punch.

Well the woman's fights have been full of surprises and Angela Hill hasn't stepped in yet.

Now that shit was weird.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That was very vale tudo-ish. I've seen people try to grind their head into their opponents while in their guard, but that was from the Wanderlei Silva era IVC where guys are getting straight up headbutted.

The best was she did it once, and as soon as the ref warned her she was like "I got a better one in me." 

• Haha 1

Suprises continue. Angela Hill enters the Top 10 via the first submission victory of her career. I don't think she's ever been Top 10. Congrats to Overkill.

• Like 2

I want to believe in Themba Gorimbo.

Heartbreaking post fight speech, about robbing his wrestling coach of his last moments with his mother. She passed away from cancer I believe yesterday or the day before.