DVDVR Message Board

POLL 6/18-6/24/2023- WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? the completely permitted door

WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Halcon Suriano Jr. & Neon vs. Futuro & Max Star - CMLL VIERNES ESPECTACULAR
    • Guerrero Maya Jr. vs. Rugido - CMLL VIERNES ESPECTACULAR
    • Euforia, Hechicero & Mephisto vs. Atlantis Jr., Star Jr. & Volador Jr. - CMLL VIERNES ESPECTACULAR
    • Mistico, Panterita del Ring Jr. & Soberano Jr. vs. Stuka Jr., Ultimo Guerrero & Fuerza Guerrera - CMLL VIERNES ESPECTACULAR
    • Ludwig Kaiser vs. Matt Riddle - RAW
    • Trish Stratus vs. Raquel Rodriguez - RAW
    • Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bronson Reed - RAW
    • Cody Rhodes, Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn vs. Damian Priest, Dominik Mysterio & Finn Balor - RAW
    • Wes Lee vs. Tyler Bate - NXT
    • Seth Rollins vs. Bron Breakker - NXT
    • Mark Briscoe vs. Jeff Jarrett - DYNAMITE
    • Minoru Suzuki , Chris Jericho & Sammy Guevara vs. Action Andretti, AR Fox & Darius Martin - DYNAMITE
    • Katsuyori Shibata & Orange Cassidy vs. Daniel Garcia & Zack Sabre Jr. - DYNAMITE
    • Kris Statlander vs. Taya Valkyrie - DYNAMITE
    • Roderick Strong vs. Kevin Blackwood - PRESTIGE
    • Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Aaron Henare & Great-O-Khan vs. EVIL & Yujiro Takahashi - NJPW on AXS
    • SANADA vs. Yota Tsuji - NJPW on AXS
    • JD McDonagh vs. Apollo Crews - WWE MAIN EVENT
    • Bully Ray & Steve Maclin vs. Eddie Edwards & Frankie Kazarian - IMPACT
    • John Hennigan vs. Jacob Fatu - MLW Fusion
    • Gringo Loco vs. Willie Mack - ROH
    • Dalton Castle vs. Josh Woods - ROH
    • Kip Sabian, Serpentico, The Butcher & The Blade vs. El Hijo del Vikingo, Komander ,Penta El Zero Miedo & Rey Fenix - ROH
    • Rocky Romero vs. Daniel Garcia - ROH
    • Athena vs. Kiera Hogan - ROH
    • T-Hawk vs. Hartley Jackson - GLEAT
    • Flamita, Kotaro Suzuki & Yutani vs. Issei Onitsuka, Takanori Ito & Yusuke Kodama - GLEAT
    • Adam Brooks vs. Kerry Morton - NWA POWERR
    • Laredo Kid vs. Black Taurus vs. Aero Boy vs. Epydemius Jr. - LUCHA MANIAKS
    • Elton Prince & Kit Wilson vs. Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford - SMACKDOWN
    • Sheamus vs. Solo Sikoa - SMACKDOWN
    • Rey Mysterio vs. LA Knight - SMACKDOWN
    • Ronda Rousey & Shayna Baszler vs. Alba Fyre & Isla Dawn - SMACKDOWN
    • Anna Jay AS vs. Skye Blue - RAMPAGE
    • Jack Perry vs. DOUKI - RAMPAGE
    • Swerve Strickland, Jeff Cobb, Kyle Fletcher & Will Ospreay vs. Chuck Taylor, Rocky Romero, Trent Beretta & YOH - RAMPAGE
    • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Swerve Strickland - COLLISION
    • Andrade El Idolo vs. Brody King - COLLISION
    • Nyla Rose vs. Willow Nightingale - COLLISION
    • CM Punk, Cash Wheeler , Dax Harwood & Ricky Starks vs. Jay White , Juice Robinson , Austin Gunn , Colten Gunn - COLLISION

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/2023 at 03:59 AM

Is there an obvious winner here? I don't know. There was a wide variety of good stuff this week and I get the feeling like everybody might have their particular favorite. Or maybe we all realize it's DOUKI's world and we're just living in it. 

This poll filled up quick with a bunch of pretty good TV matches - the indie lucha pick is a Laredo Kid-led multiman indy flipfest (REAL FUN! CHECK IT OUT!) instead of some solid walk-n-bleeds. SANADA vs. Tsuji is a revelation in maybe three or four different ways. Athena might be the best thing going. PRESTIGE put a brand new Roderick Strong vs. Kevin Blackwood match up for free just because, and their generosity is recognized. Caught the GLEAT upload at the last minute and it had a good multiman main AND a beefy sprint. The secret super fun show of the week is NWA PowerrR live from a castle, or something? They're in AUSTRALIA in a really cool outdoor venue and the local talent gets some shine. CMLL was rock-solid but for my pesos the co-main is the standout. McDonagh vs. Crews is another keeper. Can Johnny TeeVee stop the "MLW champion who just signed to AEW" curse? No!

Spoiler

Roderick Strong vs. Kevin Blackwood - https://twitter.com/WrestlePrestige/status/1671965416200212480

NWA PowerrR / NWA Australia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXf38U-kc8

CMLL Viernes Espectacular - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCM1DfpL8NY

Laredo Kid vs. Black Taurus vs. Epydemus Jr. vs. Aero Boy - https://youtu.be/Z0LEOZlkd-8?t=3041

GLEAT co-main + main - https://youtu.be/02671jMYCXY?t=5825

MLW Hennigan vs. Fatu - https://youtu.be/l5ib28VjI-k?t=1813

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

• John E. Dynamite changed the title to POLL 6/18-6/24/2023- WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? the completely permitted door

There was a few decent matches this week but for me because of the build up and cos it involves one of my faves Athena I have voted for Athena Vs Kiera Hogan. 

I just really enjoyed the intensity of the match and both women put a shift in.

• Like 1

Upon rewatch, Willow vs. Nyla was exactly what I wanted it to be and I feel conflicted. But SANADA vs. Tsuji dared to dream the impossible dream and make a <20 minute IWGP title classic happen.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Raw had some fun stuff. Trish/Raquel stood out for Trish's bumping and selling. The 6-man tag was super fun and the highlight with Dom being such a dick and Rhea's reactions on the outside.

Lee/Bate underwhelmed just a bit due to the strangeness of Ali's reffing. Seth/Bron was good though it feels like they have a better one in them. 

Dynamite matches were generally fine though the OC/Shibata tag was the fun standout. 

Athena/Hogan surprisingly did little for me. Much of the action was nice, but it lacked engagement or strong storytelling for me. 

Pretty Deadly vs. Street Profits was nice. As was the unification match for the women's tag titles. Still it was Solo and Sheamus beating the shit out of each other that stole the show, especially with some fine exhaustion selling from Sheamus as the match went on.

Perry/Douki was solid with Douki getting in way more of a showcase than expected. Played well in Perry's gradual heel turn over the weekend's events as well.

United Empire vs. CHAOS was solid. Swerve/Tanahashi was pretty entertaining even with Tanahashi's physical limitations coming into play. Andrade/King was another solid match. Willow/Nyla was decent battle of big women. CMFTR/Starks vs. Bullet Club Gold was good. I dug this so much more than the 6-man tag from the first Collision. Punk did a fine job playing FIP, and I loved the interactions with White. White looked like a star here and got much more to do not just with Punk but tin the match as a whole. The gunns made for fine henchmen and fite will with White and Juice. I only wish this was the match that happened in Chicago. The heat would been nuclear. 

3-way for the tag titles was far more fun than expected with HOT working well as heels no one wanted to see win. Sanada/Yota was good stuff and a nice star making performance for Tsuji. Yota looks, acts, and wrestles like star lacking nothing in confidence. Sanada was probably the perfect return opponent for him in some ways as he just feels way more vulnerable than previous recent champs while still being solid in his role.

Still need to catch CMLL. Nothing is running away with the win for me currently. Right now it's probably down between Solo/Sheamus, Sanada/Yota, and the 8-man tag from Collision.

All of the CMLL matches were pretty fun. The tag titles match started off well though dipped a bit in the last falls with some minor. Rugido/Guerrera Maya had some neat stuff throughout. Main event was kind of the standard solid-good. What I loved was that Los Infernales match. So much much good action from Los Infernales and the breakdown was well built up to. Ended up giving it the vote for the week since it definitely deserves some love.