DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE - 3/22/2023!

DEAN

5 hours ago, Gordlow said:

You're definitely not the only one. It seems to me that AEW has shifted hard from a promotion that was determined to differentiate itself from WWE as much as possible into a very WWE-lite type of promotion. Not just visually (though certainly there) but also in the shift away from mostly clean finishes, the de-emphasis of unique indie characters (like, say, Abadon or Angelico, or Sonny Kiss) on the network shows, and (particularly galling to me, personally, though apparently delightful to a lot of wrestling fans) an over-reliance on empty "member berries" nostalgia pops (like, for example, the tired cliche of the tough good guy driving the ambulance back to the arena just in time to make the save).

Not that any of the talent you cite as being de-emphasized were ever all that emphasized on the network shows, but isn't that just a natural result of growing a company and brand? At the start you're working with what's available, and as more resources becoming available the calculus changes? 

Although as much as I think a lot of complaints regarding change is exaggerated, I'll at least admit when you're right you're right: That ambulance spot sucks, it's been tired for a long time, and it's time to put that one to bed. Weird to think that the same guy giving us that good grounded Eddie-Claudio stuff is also insistent on trotting out such phony-baloney. 

• Like 4

The main event was good but five stars feels a bit rich for what was essentially a high end spotfest. Personally it was closer to the first time I saw PAC than Rey, but the execution was great and big credit to Omega for being a 10/10 base guitarist. I just question if Vikingo has anything else to offer other than adding more rotations to flips.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Steventon said:

The main event was good but five stars feels a bit rich for what was essentially a high end spotfest. Personally it was closer to the first time I saw PAC than Rey, but the execution was great and big credit to Omega for being a 10/10 base guitarist. I just question if Vikingo has anything else to offer other than adding more rotations to flips.

As someone who attended a Hijo Del Vikingo match last night, he also has some very cool lucha submissions that he was breaking out at Warrior Wrestling against Arez but that stopped and segwayed to flips once it became a three way with Gringo Loco entering the mix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1