DVDVR Message Board

DESTINY 2: Lightfall

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

God - I am gonna have to drop $60 to get these Mass Effect armors and I hate myself for it

The Titan and Hunter armor are pure fire. I need to look a bit more closely at the Warlock before I get that one.

7 hours ago, Shadow said:

Is Apex Predator so good that I should use my wish tokens explicitly on it to craft asap? I did use one token just to get the rocket launcher. I would like to run the raid eventually and I've been getting the chest near Shuro Chi on all three but no red borders yet. Nation of Beasts looks pretty damn good as well.

Most to the Last Wish weapons are supposed to be pretty good, but the big ones I hear about are Apex, Tyranny, and Nation. I suggest going with the one you don't have a decent legendary version of in some form. Like Tyranny can be skipped due to Pre-Astyanax IV. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

God - I am gonna have to drop $60 to get these Mass Effect armors and I hate myself for it

I think you can live w/o the Hunter set. I love garrus, but his look didn't translate near as well as Liara and the N7 armor. If you are buying a Hunter set go the Witcher one. 

Today's TWID/TWAB was the big one from the PvP Strike Team. There was a bunch of stuff about sandbox changes for balance, changing spawn points, matchmaking, etc. The more tangible stuff was the mention of the new maps coming in May, artifice armor as a reward from the Competitive playlist, and more rewards in Trials, including a new Passage that will allow for Adept weapon without going Flawless. With how Trials has been I'm not bothered by the last change. Competitive is technically the endgame for PvP at this point.

The Prophecy Dungeon is also getting updated finally with 3 weapons getting switched out and an origin trait getting added alongside new perk pools. All the weapons are changing damage types as well.

The other Destiny "news" of the day yesterday was that Cruz - a 4 time World's First due to be a part of Saltagreppo's team got perma-banned

Cruz explained that he was banned because he was running a program in the background on another game with software that isn't possible to work on D2 (Basically to farm currency in Total War). And, of course, he apparently hasn't been able to talk to any directly from Bungie.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The other Destiny "news" of the day yesterday was that Cruz - a 4 time World's First due to be a part of Saltagreppo's team got perma-banned

Cruz explained that he was banned because he was running a program in the background on another game with software that isn't possible to work on D2 (Basically to farm currency in Total War). And, of course, he apparently hasn't been able to talk to any directly from Bungie.

Just saw Cross's vid on this since he and his team tend to do a little more digging. The program absolutely can be used with Destiny or any game, and regardless of the specifics Cruz violated Bungie's TOS about running cheat programs during D2. It doesn't matter if they are applied to Destiny or not, you're not really allowed to run them while Destiny is active on your machine. 

Also he did try to appeal his ban and they replied so he did talk to the company. His appeal just failed. 

If his claims are legit I do think the perma-ban is harsh, but its also something that was warned of well in advance via the TOS. It sucks, but I don't really think its a rally against the company moment.

Guardian Games returns next week

Introduces a new "vehicle" - the Skimmer (which is basically just a hover board). It goes in the Sparrow slot

The are overhauling how it will be determined which class wins

All Medallions Guardians banked in the Tower will be counted daily, and the crest of the daily winning class will be inserted into the Tower podium for everyone to keep track of their standing. In past Guardian Games, we measured class performance based on total Medallion score. Population imbalance has always been a hot issue with this scoring method, and we’ve always weighed these in the spirit of fairness. This year we’re taking a different approach. Each day, class scores will be measured by the average Medallion score of all players who’ve deposited a Medallion that day, separated by class of course. Our hope here is that this will make your contributions feel more meaningful and that the overall competition is less dependent on hard-to-understand population weighting or catch-up mechanics.

Depending on your contributions to Guardian Games All-Stars, you'll also earn glows and the bragging rights that come with them. These are linked to your personal and group achievements, and we have five in total:

• One for being the "best in Tower" Guardian.
  • Another for being a member of the winning class of the day.
  • A shoulder glow linked to your weekly performance in the Nightfall playlist.
  • A second shoulder glow for your weekly performance in Supremacy and Gambit.
  • And a bronze, silver, or gold glow with the shape of a laurel crown (depending on your class place) in the Friday coronation ceremony.

At the end of the event, the class that wins the most days will be crowned winner, and their Class Item will change to gold until the next event, to remind everyone of their victory. Not only that, but for the whole year, members of the wininig class can also trigger some fancy fireworks in the Tower if they interact with the Guardian Games All-Stars statue! The second- and third-place classes will see their Class Items change to silver and bronze, respectively, and can still enjoy the fireworks when the winning class triggers them. This is a friendly competition after all!

So apparently folks immediately found an exploit with Legend and Master Lost Sections that made farming Guardian Games easy so Bungie has disabled them

Saw the thing about one of Sting's sons being a Destiny player elsewhere. That is kind of neat.

The PvP changes are noticeable though not terrible outside of something like Supremacy where I think people can get their abilities back faster than normal. One thing GG made so obvious last year and continues to do this year is the absolute bullshit that is whatever balance tuning they have for classes as Titans and Warlocks get their abilities back a lot faster and are noticeably stronger than Hunters in PvP. The lack of matched mobility in particular is still such tremendous bullshit that continues to astonish me at how Bungie has been ok with this for years now.

Some of the PvP sandbox changes feel like they affected PvE as well with less forgiveness for making crits. Not a big deal with how powerful players are but it wasn't mentioned it would be affecting us in PvE as well. 

The hoverboard is neat though I'm not exactly someone who can take full advantage of it. 

Edited by Eivion

I am only finally getting to play some this morning but I was watching Datto's stream yesterday (partly for the Twitch drop) and I guess the GG Supremacy playlist was not using the new matchmaking.

Not sure if it has been fixed by now

It is fairly obvious that their scoring changes did nothing as its fairly clear Hunters are gonna run away with every single day

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is fairly obvious that their scoring changes did nothing as its fairly clear Hunters are gonna run away with every single day

Only a day in so things could easily change given we have three weeks of this to go. As a Hunter I hope it doesn't, but we shall see.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Only a day in so things could easily change given we have three weeks of this to go. As a Hunter I hope it doesn't, but we shall see.

Ironically enough right after I posted that (which BTW - Hunters were winning at the time) - Warlocks suddenly jumped out

Its also not fucking helpful when Gambit is the feature activity and you cant get into a match because not enough people are playing Titan. Fucking Class vs Class matchmaking

Yeah Gambit being a part of this with class vs. class matchmaking in the current D2 climate was not the best of ideas. Maybe had they done it last year and added new maps, but right now, yeah, they won't get many playing.

I also can't get Top 10 scoring because people are fucking stupid

Also Inverted Spire randomly popping up as the Nightfall today was fucking weird

If you want to do the top 10 scoring then I suggest using Fireteam Finder or an LFG. I don't see it being an easy  via normal matchmaking as a lot of people are just trying to get things dones.

How did Inverted Spire pop up? I thought it the GG Nightfall was Europa for the week.

It is changing each day with different modifiers 

Unless someone coded something wrong but I ran Inverted Spire at least three times

Before this event, I’d never even played Inverted Spire. Ever. How is that possible?! I don’t think I’ve even done it as a normal Vanguard strike.

Just now, Casey said:

Before this event, I’d never even played Inverted Spire. Ever. How is that possible?! I don’t think I’ve even done it as a normal Vanguard strike.

Because it was basically removed when Lightfall started

Another area of PvE we think we can have a big effect on is the Vanguard rituals. We have already talked about how we are going to be making the Vanguard Ops playlist more engaging by raising the challenge level, but with Lightfall, we are also shaking up some of the activities inside the playlist. 

This effort will begin with refreshing the Lake of Shadows and Arms Dealer strikes. Both activities have had their objectives and encounters re-imagined and upgraded to match the combat engagement levels of some of our more recent strike entries, such as Lightblade and Proving Grounds. In addition, we are also taking strikes that have not been updated recently, such as Exodus Crash and The Inverted Spire, and dramatically reducing their presence in the Vanguard Ops playlist while eliminating them from Nightfall rotations. These strikes will still be available for direct launch, but until they get brought up to the engagement parity with some of our more recent Vanguard content, they will not show up as frequently as part of ritual gameplay.  

They did make a small change in that the Final Boss is health gated now. You used to be able to instantly nuke him - now you have to do all three phrases (though you still nuke him)

BTW - completion of the last Riven's Wish will grant TWO Wish Tokens

And, unsurprisingly, you have until Final Shape is released to complete them