DVDVR Message Board

Your Current TOP TEN Man Wrestlers for the end of MAY!

DEAN

It was a big month with lots of odd wrestlers resurfacing.

10. Masato Tanaka.  He showed on YouTube in NOAH and in a GLEAT experimental match doing what he does best, laying it in.  One hopes he becomes grumpy soon.

9. Aster Boy.  If you watch as much horrendous Mexican indie wrestling as I do, one would always say, "Thank God!" when you  see that Aster Boy is in the match.  You know one pairing will be interesting and that someone will land on someone in spectacular fashion.  Thank you, Aster Boy, for making Mexican indie wrestling watchable.

8. Mike Bennett.  He was really good in ROH and he was fucking great in the Texas indies  I had no idea he was this good until this month.

7. Baby Extreme.  See the Aster Boy explanation- plus he's EVIL!

6. Soma Watanabe.  There is so much GLEAT permeating the free wrestling available on the internet and Watanabe is in almost all of it.  He is a fun highflyer and a crappy UWF-style wrestler but the last month he's been in tag matches where his pro style leanings are spotlighted.

5. Miro.  He's been an awesome monster the last month.  That Darby Allin match was fucking great.

4.  Darby Allin.  He'd be higher but he hasn't been on TV the last two weeks.  What a great wrestler and he made matches against random Dark Order guys fun.

3. Kento Miyahara.  He fell off the radar after the Champions Carnival was over but the finish of it was posted the first week of the period and he is the best wrestler in the world so he can only fall so far.

2. Kaz Hayashi.  I have gone years without even remembering the existence of Kaz Hayashi but since he is a big player in GLEAT, he is all over my computer screen.  He was weirdly fired up and awesome in the Pro Wrestling HEAT-UP! matches, which is fucking amazing.

1. Freelance.  He single-handedly has made so many Mexican indie matches watchable by being the steady technico veteran guiding assorted choads through the lucha libre paces.  I am so into Freelance this month.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Yu Iizuka, T-Hawk, El Lindaman, Jon Moxley, Kenny Omega, Tetsuya Izuchi, Demonio Infernal.

I’m not watching nearly enough current wrestling right now to name 10 dudes. From what I am watching, though, I will shout out Matt Makowski. He has been terrific in Paradigm Pro (the match w/ Matthew Justice might be the match that hooked me most this month) and I enjoy him being the foil to the Camp Leapfrog gang. 

He still feels like someone you can get in on the ground floor on. In 2 years (maybe sooner), he could break onto the “TV wrestling” landscape and I think he’ll be a hit when he does. 

• Like 1

Makowski is really good, yeah. But my favourite match from Paradigm Pro was Suge D vs Lee Moriarty. So they're my top two for the month so far (there might be some really good performances between now and the 31st).

• Like 1

As I said in the ladies thread, I've only had time to watch AEW this month and haven't seen any other current wrestling... but it's pretty easy to make a top 10 list. Basically, these are the guys I've popped the most and the loudest for:

1 - Miro. Doing a midcard angle with his friends hasn't hurt him at all. Perhaps having to wait for it made his re-emergence as a monster even better.

2 - Darby. Might be the best wrestler in the world right now. He is at the point where we can 100 per cent rely on him to deliver something really good every time.

3 - JD Drake. Best thing on the YouTube shows right now, which is really saying something.

4 - Nagata. He's still got it (clap, clap, clapclapclap)!

5 - Ren Narita - That suplex!

6 - Bear Bronson - Doing just fine in singles competition. Had an excellent kaiju fight with the next guy on this list.

7 - Lance Archer - His match with Bear Bronson was everything I wanted it to be, and also everything that the haters assume AEW is not.

8 - King - Just reliably great every time he does anything. I think I'm starting to take him for granted now.

9 Anthony Ogogo - In serious danger of getting a massive face pop against Cody, whom he destroyed in the promotion battle.

10 - Mox. I'm definitely taking him for granted now. It was cool to see that video of when he first showed up, and remember how exciting it was.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Makowski is really good, yeah. But my favourite match from Paradigm Pro was Suge D vs Lee Moriarty. So they're my top two for the month so far (there might be some really good performances between now and the 31st).

I watched Matt Makowski against Alexander James earlier today.  That match looked like one of those NXT matches with Timothy Thatcher or something.  I figure they both end up in WWE.