DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

I wasn't really as impressed by the Misawa match the second time around. Gordy had a long control segment but crowd wasn't super hot over it or anything. He did get his head busted open by Misawa's enzui, which might've been hardway! They didn't work on it or anything afterwards and the blood seemed to hit real fast and hard and then stop in a hurry. End was kind of abrupt as Misawa hit the world-class elbow and Gordy wanted to keep fighting. However, that did underline how it could work as a surprise knockout blow, or just as a KO finish period. There was something just barely missing here and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe a little more heat, a little more viciousness from Terry... something.

Classic Foley. Puts himself over for carrying Gordy to a good match, then just buries the guy for how much he'd lost a step in the ring, and tells a bunch of stories about him taking drugs from strangers on an airplane. "But I'm always going to be grateful for the kindness he showed me..."

47 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Classic Foley. Puts himself over for carrying Gordy to a good match, then just buries the guy for how much he'd lost a step in the ring, and tells a bunch of stories about him taking drugs from strangers on an airplane. "But I'm always going to be grateful for the kindness he showed me..."

I dunno if that is a bunch of selective editing just for show purposes. He is a lot less positive about the King of the Death Match bout with Gordy on his podcast. That and the story on his podcast (and probably somewhere in a Foley book) about the Buried Alive match literal burial of the Undertaker is more a burial on Gordy than anything he could have done in the televised Gordy episode.

I think the Dark Side crew were trying to find something that can be spent as positive given how depressing that segment of the episode would be.

I struggle to give him the benefit of the doubt when he's constantly a talking head burying others to put himself over, not just on this show but his socials/podcast/books. I think he admitted as much re Marc Mero.

You can't sit there and talk about appreciating his kindness when he was alive, only to tell these shitty stories on TV that do his memory no justice.

52 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I struggle to give him the benefit of the doubt when he's constantly a talking head burying others to put himself over, not just on this show but his socials/podcast/books. I think he admitted as much re Marc Mero.

Everyone pretty much admits when they saw what Mero was getting when he signed with WWF (especially vis-a-vis what everyone else was making) and it became their mission to outdo him. We're still in the era of pre guaranteed contracts so every guy's deal became water cooler talk or motivation for guys to out do them. I think Mero understands especially from what I've heard from him, he kinda got pushed way above his station especially when the guys getting paid less than him at the time did way better than him.

52 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

You can't sit there and talk about appreciating his kindness when he was alive, only to tell these shitty stories on TV that do his memory no justice.

Shit, what is he suppose to say? Everyone else pretty much did the same thing. Especially the promo stuff. That was far more damning than 90 seconds on the IWA King of the Death Match. The story everyone was telling was this guy was essentially brain dead BUT STILL tried to wrestle at the highest level when it was an impossibility he could and becoming the story and cautionary tale everyone points to when what not to do as a wrestler. IIRC it was Cornette who buttressed what he was saying with that at the end. I think it's a combo of selective editing and everyone trying their best to make an incredibly ridiculous and sad story somehow less depressing and bleak without somehow destroying Terry Gordy. However, the clips of him in ECW barely being able to do a suplex and throwing some of the weakest punches did what Foley or Slinger or Cornette or the vid of Doc from the shoot interview couldn't do: it gave the hurtful truth to what Gordy was after losing all his faculties that made him Terry Gordy. If you couldn't get by one specific part, I dunno how you made it through the entire episode especially the back half. That had to be brutal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

It's VICE, he was paid to appear, he routinely appears on (with the same sort of pass ag sly comments each time). He's not been compelled to court to testify under oath. 

No-one forcing him to say anything.

If Mick Foley is passive aggressive, we need to talk to the Merriam Webster people to work on that definition. 

This is some weird, irrational thing with no actual proof that he is doing this. He didn't say anything that can be construed as an indirect shot at Terry Gordy. I think you may be the only one taking it that way. 

What I get from Foley? He's a guy who had a bittersweet moment with one of his heroes. Everytime he has brought up Gordy on his podcast, it's been nothing but respect. However, just like everyone stated on the show (EVERYONE), Gordy was definitely not the same guy. Who on that documentary or HERE especially believes what happened post plane incident leads anyone to believe there is some type of positivity coming out of that? In context, as Foley has explained it, IIRC he had a match with Gordy either in World Class or his run in the dying days of Continental with Gordy where he was disappointed with how the match turned out. So if he ever got the chance to wrestle one of his idols again, he would try to do better the 2nd time around. Unfortunately, when he did get another match with Gordy, it was on the other side of the incident. So he had to make the best out of terrible situation. He's the only guy on the episode who would have wrestled Terry after the incident in any significant way. In context, he wanted so desperately to have the best match he could with Gordy because even with Terry's condition, he wanted to get SOMETHING out of him. However, as evidence provided throughout the episode showed, he couldn't do it. Hell, Taker tried to get the best match out of Gordy at the It's Time show in WPB, Florida. However, as you could see, Taker had that "...what in the fuck was that.." look on his face post-match. And give Foley credit on this, he basically went in and wrestled a bulk of that match cause Gordy couldn't. The part where Taker is actually wrestling Gordy is perhaps the worst wrestling match on PPV up to that point between people who could actually be considered workers. Foley tried HIS BEST to save that crock of shit. Then, a couple months before at the show in Indy, Gordy was out there shoveling dirt up like as Foley put it something to the effect of "a cat in kitty litter", which is why all those guys had to come out there and help them shovel that shit before previous satellite time ran out on the PPV. It also likely led to the backhoe idea for subsequent Buried Alive matches. It's easily the most disastrous run someone could have in two months in a major promotion. Even Miranda Gordy said she was glad they put her dad in a mask during that time. That's HIS goddamn daughter saying that.

Now if Foley is being an insincere jackass (and I probably should know cause I'm 1/2 one my damn self), he has a very strange way of showing it cause he has been very passionate talking about Gordy much like Terry Funk and other guys. It's just too insane a story for someone to be 100% positive. We listened for 25 minutes of that show folks believing that Gordy's brain damage (brain damage, mind you) was somehow reversible. We're not talking a bunch of medical professionals. We're talking guys who are very much not that to the point where James E. Cornette said something like "a bunch of medical hooha" or w/e the hell he said. They tried to simplify BRAIN DAMAGE. Slinger and Doc are talking about slapping a guy to get him up and around like the Fonz hitting the jukebox. Nothing about the Terry Gordy story is normal. The WHOLE thing is fucking preposterous. Foley knows it so I cannot fault him for that. You ever heard him talk about his run in Abrams' UWF? It's the same way. He tries to go out of his way not to bury HERB ABRAMS, a certified maniac. However, it's too absurd to where he cannot say something that reflects bad on Abrams cause it's the truth. From the Herbie cookies to the "agenting" of his lumberjack match in UWF to Cokie the dog. So do I believe Mick Foley felt proud he got to wrestle one of his favorite wrestlers? Hell yeah. He's openly talked about how some of his sentimental favorite matches were also some of his most critically panned matches. Do I also feel it was probably one of the most bittersweet moments of his career? Definitely. That's all I got out of it. Now if you should have a problem with anything it's the fact the we heard folks that genuinely who believed you can just snap of being brain damaged just like that. I myself was peeved with that cause again....come on, but I also understand the context that ALL those guys were blinded by (1) ignorance of medical science clearly and (2) that a person can be so good in the ring that he can have that happen to him and still be passable in the ring. There was nothing particularly venomous that was said. Hell, even if there was, just like multiple episodes of this series it's most likely directed at the nature of a crazy ass business sans individual personal beefs.

• Like 5

Yeah, no way am I reading that.

I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm not saying you're wrong about how Gordy is viewed in this timeframe. I'm saying he just didn't *need* to shit on him. whilst still trying to pretend he's grateful for whatever acts of kindness occurred earlier in his career. (Moreso the story about the stranger on the plane than anything he ever said about his ring work, which is not worth being precious over).

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon

6 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Yeah, no way am I reading that.

You should cause apparently you're reading everything else wrong. Maybe you can interpet that.

Also, if he is not wrong, then what the fuck are you talking about? 

• Like 1

Imagine telling someone that they've got this weird irrational thing, but still write a 1000 words rebuttal on someone else's behalf and then still decide you don't know what I'm talking about to so passionately argue it anyway.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon

2 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

You can't tell someone that they've got this weird irrational thing, write a 1000 words rebuttal on someone else's behalf and then still decide you don't know what I'm talking about to so passionately argue it anyway.

You provided no evidence in the contrary. You're working off of a feeling. What did Foley say that was shitting on Terry Gordy that (1) no one else DIDN'T say even his daughter and nephew and (2) could be construed as passive aggressive? 

Aside from having already mentioned it in two replies, your response is almost certainly going to be "Oh well, that's just your opinion, I don't think anyone else thinks that", as if there's some academically recognised scale of passive aggressiveness or shitting on that can be relied on?

Why did we need to know that his addiction issues were so bad he once asked a random stranger on a flight for random drugs that he didn't even know what they were? Just a weird cheap story that no-one really needed to know. Don't care if it's true or not, just yeah, keep that one to yourself, Mick?

9 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Why did we need to know that his addiction issues were so bad he once asked a random stranger on a flight for random drugs that he didn't even know what they were? 

Dude, EVERYONE talked about his addiction issues. Literally, everyone. Also, keep in mind, that's a SAFE story literally compared to thousands of stories we've heard on the series. The motherfucker had an OD ON A PLANE! So yes, of course, he was asking for drugs other times on planes. If my uncle had an OD at a crack house, am I shitting on my uncle cause afterwards I said he went back to another crack house? 

He had a BAD drug problem. This is a FACT. Everyone said that including his daughter. His daughter said HER DAD was on drugs. Is she being passive aggressive too? I guess cause she's a wrestler too she is shitting on her dad's legacy to make sure she gets a foot in the door in WWE or AEW. 

Jim Cornette talked about how rough a shape he was in. Is Cornette shitting on Terry Gordy too? Cause I mean we've heard Cornette shit on people and that's 1/100th the amount of shitting he does on people. And Jim is fucking Mr. Passive Aggressive if there is one.

Aside from having already mentioned it in two replies, your response is almost certainly going to be "Oh well, that's just your opinion, I don't think anyone else thinks that", 

I mean it's not cause literally in two paragraphs, which is fifth grader could muster up the strength to read, I provide several examples of why what you're saying is absolutely ludicrous. Please read it and point out anything that could be considered wrong. I promise you cannot. 

• Like 1

Foley prefaced his comments with how grateful he was to Gordy for how kind he was to him earlier in his career, and then proceeded to talk shit. That is the issue *once again*. Using Cornette, speaker of ill will towards everyone and otherwise lacking the above context, is hardly the standard bearer.

Just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should. His drug problems are not disputed. Just whether it was appropriate to speak out of school and provide specific stories about it. I'm sure his family are really grateful for having heard them. 

Your strawmen argument that absolutely no-one is saying, are not an example. 

Just now, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Foley prefaced his comments with how grateful he was to Gordy for how kind he was to him earlier in his career, and then proceeded to talk shit. That is the issue *once again*.

What shit did he talk? A story is not shit talk.

Just whether it was appropriate to speak out of school and provide specific stories about it.

MOTHERFUCKER THE SERIES IS CALLED DARK SIDE OF THE RING! Not stories dumbasses would like hear about their favorite wrestler who was a notorious fuck up.

• Haha 3

BOLD WRITING

We needed more of the graphic details from the Benoit autopsies. And why wasn't the Von Erichs episode just the Sleaze Thread in documentary form? And why didn't they just make up stories about John Tenta, Well Liked Family Man? It's got a foreboding title damnit. 

Terry Gordy is now my favourite wrestler apparently. 

Also, wasn't he repeatedly called a MAN CHILD? That's more of a burial than anything else.

Also, Ray Gordy basically said Terry was shit as a father and the only time he got to spend with him was AFTER the plane incident. Ray shared that story. Not Mick Foley. I dunno about you but if my kid said I was a shitty dad, I would feel some type of way.

3 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

BOLD WRITING

We needed more of the graphic details from the Benoit autopsies. And why wasn't the Von Erichs episode just the Sleaze Thread in documentary form? And why didn't they just make up stories about John Tenta, Well Liked Family Man? It's got a foreboding title damnit. 

Terry Gordy is now my favourite wrestler apparently. 

Deflection. Bold strategy, Cotton.

Again, what shit did he talk? A story is not shit talk especially when literally EVERYONE ELSE including both his biological children, his nephew, and ex promoter said the exact same things. Please provide examples. 

1 minute ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

The timestamp of the actual episode, reply guy.

I already saw the episode. What was said? I want you to explain it, Mr. Lazy. They tend to discuss things on a discussion board.

Nah, you made the claim. You go see where you're wrong. I have no interest in writing or responding to your never-ending essays of baseless assumption of what I've said with anything other than the bare minimum effort on your sealioning.

I'm sure there's plenty of people also wrong on the internet you can spend your time on. 

3 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Nah, you made the claim. You go see where you're wrong. 

No, you made the claim that Foley was talking shit originally. This entire back and forth has proven you're wrong, especially the sinkhole size gaps in logic.

Again, what was said where Foley can be taken as talking shit? I'm your huckleberry. Go ahead. Been waiting this entire time.