DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

So over or under 1.5 million buys for Conor McGregor attempting to become UFC's first double champion?

I think it's hard to say. I believe Meltzer did the research a couple months as to who buys the biggest shows. Ultimately, he found out that Ronda and Conor had two completely different consumer bases. Ronda had a lot of first time PPV buyers. With Holm winning the way she did and the responses she has gotten since, you would figure those first time PPV buyers would purchase just out of curiosity. Even though someone like FRB try to bury WMMA and say no one cares about anyone but Ronda, I think it's kinda of ignorant to position it as a De La Hoya-Hopkins thing. If you want to make an in house comparison, the Lesnar-Velasquez fallout where the guy who won decisively and didn't have the charisma to captivate an audience. I mean people thought Holm was the wrong choice (Meltzer did annihilate Holm beforehand about her building the PPV), but after the fight, you can't say that Holm hasn't did her part. So for right now, I would safely say 1.2 to 1.3 million.

• Like 1

Even though someone like FRB try to bury WMMA and say no one cares about anyone but Ronda, I think it's kinda of ignorant to position it as a De La Hoya-Hopkins thing.

That dude is a joke.

Ben Askren fan #1.

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter  5m5 minutes ago

BREAKING: Multiple sources confirm UFC will soon announce UFC 197 for March 5 in Vegas with Dos Anjos/McGregor and Holm/Tate.

Botter expects Conor to still defend the FW strap vs. Frankie at UFC 200.

My birthday is the day after and UFC PPV's are in the early hours of Sunday morning UK time. Great birthday gift!

• Like 1

So reports are indicating that there are holdups in the potential UFC 197 fight announcement for McGregor and Dos Anjos.  Globo is saying McGregor is holding out for more money.  Jeremy Botter is basically saying it's the exact opposite and it's RDA's side trying to renegotiate.  He said, she said nonsense.

Ariel tweeted that all the parties are onboard. McGregor's manager also refuted the Globo report.

Maybe they're saving for the Seahawks/Panthers game. It would make sense as that's when you're going to get the hard sell on the Boston show.

Maybe they will hint at a Major announcement during the Cruz/Dillashaw show by promoting during Seahawks/Panthers.

Based on what GB @ WSH did in terms of ratings, it would absurd to tease an announcement on a platform millions more people are going to watch. It would be like teasing an announcement on FS1 that will be actually be announced on FS2. That's nice and all, but that's a waste of a golden opportunity.

Botter is essentially patient zero. I believe it was Okamoto who checked to see if it was correct. After the announcement wasn't made, that's when the speculation had started. Both Botter and Helwani agree all sides are currently onboard. Now the point of contention is if anyone wasn't at some point. Helwani heard that was never a thing.

If this was just two or more random dudes, then I would be skeptical. With Botter and Helwani, not so much. I mean Helwani practically works for the UFC anyway.

Botter is essentially patient zero. I believe it was Okamoto who checked to see if it was correct. After the announcement wasn't made, that's when the speculation had started. Both Botter and Helwani agree all sides are currently onboard. Now the point of contention is if anyone wasn't at some point. Helwani heard that was never a thing.

If this was just two or more random dudes, then I would be skeptical. With Botter and Helwani, not so much. I mean Helwani practically works for the UFC anyway.

Actually, Botter was tweeting it was not McGregor holding up negotiations responding to the Globo report but the opposite, suggesting it was RDA's side.  Ali Abdel-Aziz, RDA's manager, then tweeted that was BS.  Of course he's RDA's manager so he might be denying it.  McGregor's manager also denied the story.  

Actually, Botter was tweeting it was not McGregor holding up negotiations responding to the Globo report but the opposite, suggesting it was RDA's side.  Ali Abdel-Aziz, RDA's manager, then tweeted that was BS.  Of course he's RDA's manager so he might be denying it.  McGregor's manager also denied the story.  

Yeah, I know all that. I'm just saying it's basically splitting hairs and that the dispute (if there ever was one) is not an issue.

According to Adam Hill of the Las Vegas Review Journal, the UFC is officially requesting the MGM Grand for 3/5 while the promoter for the PBC has removed their request for the same venue on that very date for Keith Thurman vs. Shawn Porter. It has been added to the agenda for the NAC meeting for Tuesday.

According to Adam Hill of the Las Vegas Review Journal, the UFC is officially requesting the MGM Grand for 3/5 while the promoter for the PBC has removed their request for the same venue on that very date for Keith Thurman vs. Shawn Porter. It has been added to the agenda for the NAC meeting for Tuesday.

Update: It will be on next month's agenda instead.