DVDVR Message Board

UFC 173: Barão vs. Dillashaw (5/24/2014) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

He did way more tonight than he did against Mir and Nelson and treated his opponent like a WCW jobber in 1992. That's all I ask for.

He almost did the Benoit-Sabu spot. That could have been ugly.

• Like 1

Great main event.  This is why I love MMA.  No one predicted the main event would happen that way.  This is also why I love the bantamweights.  These guys don't get tired and just don't gas.  Dillashaw's pace was unbelievable.  Liked that he got the finish so there was no doubt or argument at the end.

So, Dillashaw/Assuncao next?  Will Dominick Cruz go through a miraculous recovery suddenly?

What about Team Alpha Male?  Will Dillashaw leave and go with Duane Ludwig to Colorado?

Great performance by Lawler.  Ellenberger cemented himself as a gatekeeper tonight.  Looking forward to the next lovefest on MMA Roasted since Ellenberger is their boy.

• Like 1

Anybody call THAT in the main event? I sure didn't. Congratulations to TJ Dillashaw beating Renan Barao for the UFC Banatamweight Championship. Barao loses his first fight since his debut back in 2005. What a punch TJ hit Barao with in the first round for the sound of it and sending Barao across the Octagon. One of the biggest ever upsets.

I was confident Daniel Cormier would beat up Dan Henderson but not like that. Cormier dominated and put Hendo to sleep with a quick Rear Naked Choke. Something seeing the clueless look on Hendo's face after waking up.

• Like 1

TJ Dillashaw is the first TUF Fighter not to win his season to become a UFC champion,

These are the matches that should take place next in the BW division:

TJ Dillashaw vs. Raphael Assuncao II

Dominick Cruz vs. Takeya Mizugaki

Renan Barao vs. Francisco Rivera

I am watching the Post Fight show and it really sounded like Sonnen claim that Varner faked the ankle injury doing the 'it always seems to happen to him" line.  Since Sonnen is basically Dana White's media puppet that seems interesting

I still don't understand why people are taking about Cruz.  He hasn't fought in about 2 years and has at least 2 setbacks trying to recover.  Even if Cruz does come back to fight, he needs at least one fight to prove himself in my opinion

I am watching the Post Fight show and it really sounded like Sonnen claim that Varner faked the ankle injury doing the 'it always seems to happen to him" line.  Since Sonnen is basically Dana White's media puppet that seems interesting

I still don't understand why people are taking about Cruz.  He hasn't fought in about 2 years and has at least 2 setbacks trying to recover.  Even if Cruz does come back to fight, he needs at least one fight to prove himself in my opinion

I think that was just Sonnen being a dick.  In the same show White said Varner was a stud for finishing the round on an injured leg.  

I think the reason people are talking about Cruz is because physically he seems to match up better with Dillashaw than Barao.  Also, if Cruz asks for a shot at the title, UFC says they would give it to him if he comes back.  Now I pretty much agree.  When he does finally fight it will have been almost 3 years since his last one, and that's just insane to me that he'd be fighting for the title again automatically.  Even Randy Couture wasn't "retired" this long when he fought Tim Sylvia.

Guest Edwin

He did way more tonight than he did against Mir and Nelson and treated his opponent like a WCW jobber in 1992. That's all I ask for.

Mir and Big Country are 3 times the size of Hendo. Not that he couldn't have done the same to them like he did to Barnett, but there's a huge size difference.

Cruz vs Barao would be a good #1 contender fight

Where do you leave someone who's been on a roll recently like Mizugaki? At this point Mizugaki is way more deserving of a title shot than Cruz.

Mir and Big Country are 3 times the size of Hendo. Not that he couldn't have done the same to them like he did to Barnett

Exactly.

Personally, I'm sick of all the rematches as of late.  But Barao's camp is already campaigning for the rematch, so what can you do?

I think you should put Mizugaki in there against Barao.  Mizugaki has looked impressive as of late, but he still hasn't really shown me anything that he can be the champion.  If Mizugaki wants to be champion, he should be able to beat someone like Barao.  

Assuncao deserves the fight.  He beat Dillashaw.

Guest Edwin

As much as I like Barao, he doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. The fight was to one sided.

TJ/Assuncao makes the most sense with Barao fighting Mizugaki or Cruz if he can ever get healthy in a title contender eliminator with Mizugaki fighting someone else.