DVDVR Message Board

Blue Demon, Blue Demon Jr. y Ringo Mendoza vs. Emilio Charles Jr., Pirata Morgan y Satanico (11/25/88)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

As one can expect, the crowd here is wild for Blue Demon.  Beginning is cool with them viciously booing El Dandy just for getting a few arm drags in.  This is a big star spectacle match and all about Blue Demon, and the crowd is just molten for him.  And really, that's it.  This is fun to watch as a spectacle and to see a match from one of the preeminent lucha legends but this isn't on here for work.  By the numbers trios but it didn't need to be much more; and at least in the third fall there is a pretty cool though short section where Mendoza dukes it out with Pirata and Satanico.  Bottom 10 stuff but worth watching.

I thought this was really enjoyable but I'm a sucker for younger guys working really hard to put over a legend. These guys took such big bumps for every Blue Demon armdrag and headscissors takedown. That is a great rudo trio and with those guys holding down the fort this couldn't be that bad, even with a wrestler as lame as Blue Demon Jr. standing right there. This may be a bottom half match but I don't think it's a bottom 10 match.

• 3 weeks later...

What a tremendously scummy trios combo the rudo team is. Might as well be another incarnation of los Infernales, which it kind of already is. This is a nostalgia match for an aging Blue Demon but with three super-workers plus a green, highspot-happy BD Jr. who probably blew off every move he knew in his first segment of the match. Mendoza is there to pick up the slack between the Demons getting beaten on and the rudos bumping all over the place. BD Sr. does throw some stiff strikes and is spry enough to acquit himself well for one of his final matches. Highly entertaining in its own way.

• 9 months later...

Since I don't know lucha that well, I don't really know Blue Demon, so the significance and nostalgia is kind of lost on me.  Although I can tell this is something special for him, with the carrying in and out of the ring, and the stooging throughout.  The packed ring to start the match, and the flower girls, made this seem like a big All Japan match from the early 1980s.  Ringo hits a nice DDT in the second fall.  The triple-teaming of Demon in the third fall was fairly dramatic, as was the attempt to undo his mask.  I liked Satanico going toe-to-toe with Demon and Ringo before falling to the floor.  Demon Jr.'s inexperience didn't bother me too much, because I didn't really notice it.  The great rudo team held this together nicely, but looking back, it wasn't a very eventful match, so it probably will fall into my bottom half, but not too far down.