DVDVR Message Board

Pound for Pound: Kovalev vs. Ward (11/19/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

ward_kovalev_poster_1_gvqcwa.jpg

Pound for Pound: Kovalev vs. Ward 
November 19, 2016
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

WBA Super/IBF/WBO Light Heavyweight Championship: Sergey Kovalev © (175) vs. Andre Ward (175) - Ward, DEC (unanimous)
- WBA Super (fifth defense)
- IBF (fifth defense)
- WBO (ninth defense)

Maurice Hooker (139) vs. Darleys Perez (137.5) - DRAW (split) 
Isaac Chilemba (174.75) vs. Oleksandr Gvozdyk (174.75) - Gvozdyk, TKO (retirement), R8 (3:00)
Curtis Stevens (157.5) vs. James De la Rosa (159.75) - Stevens, DEC (unanimous)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Brice Ritani-Coe (242) vs. Darmani Rock (241) - Rock, DEC (unanimous)
Claressa Shields (167) vs. Franchon Crews (168) - Shields, DEC (unanimous)
Vincent Jennings (126.5) vs. Tyler McCreary (128) - McCreary, DEC (unanimous)
Sonny Fredrickson (140) vs. Gabriel Duluc (139.75) - Fredrickson, DEC (unanimous)
Botirsher Obidov (157) vs. Bakhram Murtazaliev (160) - Murtazaliev, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:52)
Henry Beckford (160.5) vs. Meirim Nursultanov (159) - Nursultanov, DEC (unanimous)

Attendance: 13,310
Gate: $3.3 million
Buyrate: 160,000

It feels like yesterday when Kovalev was still on NBCSN knocking dudes out and then destroying Nathan Cleverly to win the WBO title. Now, he's defending that belt for the ninth time against someone coming off like 5 consecutive tune-up bouts in a "high profile" PPV bout. Boxing, ladies and gentlemen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

FANTASTIC fight. Exceeded my expectations.  Boxing needed a fight like this, no problem with the scorecards, because I thought Ward really controlled the fight after about round 5.  Absolutely see a rematch.

Same here.

Great fight, I thought 114-113 Ward was the perfect call.

I could see why people feel Kovalev should have won, it truly could have gone either way, but Ward clearly figured him out midway through the fight. I have a feeling the rematch would be another Mayweather/Maidana 2 - total Ward domination.

Thought the decision was nonsense: Ward was fairing better in the second half of the fight, but it was still very close to call. The first few rounds of the fight were completely one sided, including the knockdown of Ward. Ward was landing body shots with regularity, but at no point did I really feel he was decisively controlling the fight except possibly for a few middle rounds, and certainly never was in enough ascendancy to be unanimously the winner. Kovalev should feel aggreived.