DVDVR Message Board

Nordic Noir (aka People in Comfy Sweaters Solving Crimes as Snow Falls)

Reed

Okay, I haven't actually seen either of these, but they both seem to fit the thread and have high Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

The Icelandic movie Jar City, and the Danish movie Terribly Happy.

Edit: Just realized this isn't in the movie forum!  Please ignore, unless those movies were based on books or something.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo / Men Who Hate Women is REALLY good. 

You can skip the other two books.  Larsson got it into his head that we should love Lisbeth Salander with all of our hearts to the point where he totally eviscerates Mikhael Bloomqvist and her villainous opposition in subsequent books in order to prop Lisbeth up.

Larsson wasn't that good a writer, in my opinion.

Interesting ideas, sure. But this was not F. Scott Fitzgerald we're talking about here.

First time I read his work I put the clunkiness and lack of subtlety down to translation issues. Then I read other Scandinavian novels and it was like, eh, he really was just rather mediocre.

Okay, I haven't actually seen either of these, but they both seem to fit the thread and have high Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

The Icelandic movie Jar City, and the Danish movie Terribly Happy.

Edit: Just realized this isn't in the movie forum!  Please ignore, unless those movies were based on books or something.

I don't mind if movies/TV stuff gets mentioned a little too. I'm open to the genre.

The Martin Beck books by Sjowall and Wahloo are pretty good, although they feel a bit dated now.  

Even better are the Wallander books by Henning Mankell.

My mom really likes Peter Hoeg, but I haven't read anything of his.  The movie version of Smilla's Sense of Snow was good, though.

I might pass this question to her as this is pretty much her favorite genre.

EDIT: PD James isn't Nordic, but her stuff can be thematically similar.

• Like 1