DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRSBE: A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

jaedmc

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

Picked By CSC

Read and Reviewed by JRGoldman

So when I signed up for this, I was really excited to get a book that was well outside my wheel house. I read a good amount, but I’m rather particular in what I read, so this would be an opportunity for me to branch out. That being said, I was sort of relieved that the book I got, A Dirty Job, was seemingly something that I would enjoy reading, or at least had enough of a genre skew that I would be comfortable as I read it. I will say that I had no notion of what to expect outside of having seen the book at book shops before. 

So, obligatory plot summary before we go any further: A man, Charlie Asher, a “beta male”, witnesses his wife’s death after a seemingly healthy childbirth. Unfortunately, he also witnesses a gigantic black man in a mint green suit in the room while his wife dies. This event leads to Charlie being thrust in to the world of “soul collecting”, in which Charlie, along with Minty Fresh (the aptly named giant black man in the aforementioned suit) and some other more minor characters are tasked with basically being the grim reaper. Before we go any further, I feel as though I should mention that while I was reading this book, I pictured the character of Minty Fresh as Ernie Ladd, which added immensely to my enjoyment of the novel. Anyway, Charlie has to juggle his second hand store and crazy neighbors and family with his new found powers, lest the forces of darkness get the souls and rise from the sewers. Also, his infant daughter seems to have the ability to kill things with a look, so there is that. 

This whole book is basically a romp. I would classify it without hesitation as a “beach read”. I say this not as a bad or good thing, but merely a thing. In some ways, I really liked this book not because I necessarily enjoyed what I was reading, but because it reminded me that there were books out there that don’t strive to be great art, but are just there to be enjoyed. Just like I sometimes want Miller Lite instead of Johnnie Walker Blue, sometimes I want a book I can knock off in a couple lazy days. 

All that being said, there were parts of this book that I did not enjoy as much as others. I fully realize that this may be me being a stick in the mud, but I found that the author made many of his more minor characters stereotypes and jokes rather than actual people. For example, the two neighbors are a Russian woman who likens everything to being “like bear”, and an Asian woman who can’t pronounce her rs and tries to cook anything that moves. I feel as though Moore is a good enough writer, and clearly a very creative man, that he should not have to rely on shtick and casual racism as humor. The other thing Moore has a bit of trouble with as a writer is making clear the passage of time. The book is carefully divided up in to three parts, but within those three parts, time just jumps forward seemingly at random. I would read a few pages before realizing that a few years had passed, and it would always make me feel as though I missed something important or wasn’t reading carefully enough. Because of these things, I would probably be hesitant to read another of Moore’s works, although I would not be shy about recommending it to someone if they were looking for something a little on a lighter side. 

Despite those minor issues, I had an absolute blast doing this project and would gladly do it again. I can’t thank Jae enough for putting all this together. 

^^^ What he said.

What they said. Moore rules, a great comic satirist who can create unforgettable characters. Lamb can be summed up by Moore's original inspiration: "What if Jesus learned kung-fu?", but it still goes on to be shockingly faithful to the character (if calling Jesus a "character" can be accurate) and genuinely respects his teachings while still gently poking fun at his story.

I feel like the ending came too quickly

Sadly, that's a common theme in his books. I dunno if he's bad at making deadlines and rushes the endings or whatever the reason is, but they always feel like they screech to a halt in a terrible hurry.