DVDVR Message Board

[LLDSS] STAGE TWO (ROUND of 16) - HANSEN/BRODY vs. BRISCOS

RIPPA

LLDSS STAGE TWO - ROUND of 16  

30 members have voted

1. 1. HANSEN/BRODY vs. BRISCOS

• STAN HANSEN/BRUISER BRODY
    • JACK AND JERRY BRISCO

I expect the Briscos to get slaughtered here, but I'm actually voting for them. They're the better team, and in the last year I've particularly become a much bigger Jack Brisco fan. The more I've seen of him, the more I've understood his rep as a crazy athletic, awesome touring champion who was basically a far more charismatic and agile version of Dory Jr. The best Brisco wars with the Funks are better than anything Hansen and Brody did together. Even the Brisco-Adonis/Murdoch match, which is one of the last Briscos tags together to make tape (maybe the last actually) is awesome and way better than Hansen-Brody. I really wish we'd seen Jack Brisco undergo the same transformation that Terry Funk did in the 80s. Brisco working as the cagey vet against Flair, Steamboat, Windham and co. could have been pretty awesome, especially if he'd turned heel. Heel Briscos vs. Steamboat/Youngblood is a really exciting Mid-Atlantic feud, and kind of the conceptual basis for stuff like Evolution-Shield.

Briscos teamwork was better than Hansen-Brody. Meant more to their respective territories. Worked a greater variety of places to greater success.  Briscos teamed in their primes, unlike Hansen-Brody which happened after Brody's.

If this was Hansen-Gordy, Hansen-Tenryu in an Elseworlds where one of them was dead, or even Hansen-Dibiase in the same alternate realm, I could at least see the argument. But the 80's Project has exposed Brody as a massively overrated and limited worker coasting on his rep. The Hansen-Brody matches were among the lower rated matches on the All Japan set. The Briscos might be the best team of the 70s, which hurts them here as fewer folks will have seen their stuff.

The Brody thing is felt by everyone who went through the 80s project basically.

A side question regarding that - has Chris ever crunched the numbers so far about who has appeared in the most matches across all the sets.

Because when you said that I realized that Brody was in New Japan, All Japan, Texas and AWA (plus the Lawler match in Memphis)

So he clearly has to be high on that list