DVDVR Message Board

Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS

I think my final "Amiibos I will seek out, as opposed to maybe buying as targets of opportunity" list is:

Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man (to get the icons all on one shelf, admittedly I also play Sonic and Pac-Man quite a bit. Hopefully Pac-Man won't be a store exclusive when he's announced)

Lucina (love Fire Emblem and she's the FE char I play most often)

Link (Twilight Princess or Toon, whichever one I can get hold of first)

Zero Suit Samus (another char I play quite a bit)

Zelda and Rosalina, the two I have, were both pretty much opportunity; when I really wanted an Amiibo Zelda was both the nicest looking figure on the shelf at Best Buy and the char I played the most. Rosa was 100% "I am already here because the GF wanted her so badly, might as well get one for me" but it's a nice figure and her training is progressing nicely too. I'll probably grab a Robin, Mr. Game and Watch or Ike if I happen to be in the store while they're there though I would expect the first 2 to end up as retailer exclusives for sure and possibly a short print run for MGW.

Nintendo should offer a mail-order option to get your Mii fighters as custom amiibos.  Seriously, my first exposure to the entire concept of 3D printing was some company partnering with Blizzard to make figurines of your WOW character. I remember us all crapping our pants at the prospect on the City of Heroes forum back in the day.  Mii Fighters are not half as complex as WoW character models and it seems like it should be possible to tie the NFC code to a fighter type and a Mii...that MIGHT actually get me to make a Mii fighter on WiiU. (There are probably at least twelve reasons this is financially and/or technologically impossible, but it's a cool idea.)

Guest The Magnificent 7

also there's that rosalina guy.

tumblr_nhxg09uSlM1qawplno1_500.png

the original article this is from got deleted from the site of origin, but later in the article he claims to have $35k available and no plans for a family, so that's all dedicated to this mission.

btw this is the kind of thing I mean when I say things like "nerd culture is budweiser and shut up"

There was never any evidence that guy was telling the truth though. I don't buy it.

I don't buy it either, but even if it is true, to extrapolate that this represents anything other than this one whackjob is goofiness in the extreme.

Nintendo should offer a mail-order option to get your Mii fighters as custom amiibos.  Seriously, my first exposure to the entire concept of 3D printing was some company partnering with Blizzard to make figurines of your WOW character. I remember us all crapping our pants at the prospect on the City of Heroes forum back in the day.  Mii Fighters are not half as complex as WoW character models and it seems like it should be possible to tie the NFC code to a fighter type and a Mii...that MIGHT actually get me to make a Mii fighter on WiiU. (There are probably at least twelve reasons this is financially and/or technologically impossible, but it's a cool idea.)

i've only made one. a brawler. Batman.

it's pretty sweet to randomly throw Batman into a Mario battle.

• 2 weeks later...

How to make a readily available Ammibo like Mario a rare item?  Make him a GOLD MARIO!!!!

Holy shitsnacks, Nintendo sure likes driving people bonkers, don't they?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/02/sold-out-gold-mario-amiibo-sees-670-percent-markup-on-ebay/

IMG_0407_zpsblaf881s.jpg

here is pretty much my final Amiibo collection. 

the wife has her eyes on Kirby, to go along with the new Kirby Rainbow game, but otherwise i'm good. maybe in a couple years when open ones are selling for $5 i'll pick up a Little Mac or Yoshi, but i'm not really interested otherwise. 

Yeah I've seen Sheik and Toon Link at pretty much every place carrying Amiibos in the last week.  I've heard Mega Man was re-printed so he's no longer rare, so fingers crossed.

I got my Mega Man and Sonic at Toys R Us this week and they had plenty. Try them.

• Like 1

Found Rock and Sonic. Aside from targets of opportunity (Zero Samus, Robin) I just need Pac-Man to complete the Four Horsemen of the Nostalgiapocalypse and Lucina to get the last char I seriously play myself.

zero suit samus i'd pick up immediately.

pac-man i've been iffy on. i'll probably go ahead and grab him. why not?

other than that, i dunno. duck hunt dog?  ganondorf?  olimar?  can't see myself getting excited about many others.

now, if i could suggest characters to be added to the game (and/or amiibos made of them), my list starts with:

Waluigi

Bomberman

Knuckles

Simon Belmont (or one of the Belmont clan, anyway)

Raticate (my favorite pokemon)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, April 15th for those of us who get him for free for buying both the Wii U and 3DS versions. April 28th for everyone else.

Also on April 15th, a character balance patch, the ability to share stuff like screenshots, and costume DLC for your Mii Fighters.

A lot of this sounds lame, but I'm happy they're still supporting the game.