DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. Great doc. 

Here is your poster for Obscene Extreme 2023: 

Spoiler

article-content-2458-7f6ffaa6bb0b408017b62254211691b5.jpg

Always love the non-grind/death bands they bring -- Collapsed (there's always good crust), Hellripper, Necromantheon, The Crown, fucking BULLDOZER this time... Total Chaos is quite the leap, but it's not my fest haha

EDIT: Just to bitch a bit, Total Chaos always ends up on fests and surely he's got enough entree to get a better street punk band on the bill if that's what he wants. Shit, mail the Restarts some plane tickets! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

God, the LINEUP on Hell's Heroes... insane. 

Anyway, as an update on my copy of Dark Parade, guess what ended up showing up on my doorstep? 

This. 

Spoiler

396697569_7765366293490398_3224961635796203653_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=GYkelIoruXoAX98AKO6&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfCl7e9zOCmuDBqAewanqYoPXV0kUN5iuAK84VofDuT_2Q&oe=65400C51

May be an image of book, La Sagrada Familia and text

May be an image of text

May be an image of text

🤬

This has never happened in all my years ordering records, save one time when a copy of the third Pestilence was instead replaced in my mailbox by a hefty guide to the bird life of Alabama (?!), and one time when a lady sent me two records in a loose box in the middle of summer and they came warped albeit playable. Thankfully Hell's Headbangers were cool with me getting something else gratis. I picked out the 2019 Possessed reunion LP which I unfortunately didn't snag when it came out. 

• Sad 1

THIS is what my record was supposed to come as 

Spoiler

May be an image of text

I went over to Metal Blade and grabbed a copy direct from the source. They had it here in no time. And properly packaged, too! HHR likes to tape their records to one side of those thick boxes without any cardboard barriers on either side, which may be cheap for them, but fucked if it provides any protection. 

• Like 1

It always amuses me when I end up doing that to a record. In fact, I did it to Possessed's last record just today! It had just came in the mail. You can get some good 33 1/3 slowdowns but the only one I recall making sound better on 45 is actually Destruction's Infernal Overkill. Give that a try sometime, it rules. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are gonna go in the metal thread. I was just gonna post the ENT but I love Doom too much to resist, as it was in the feed. And it starts with a Sabbath cover anyway, haha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt7d8G-T2iw&ab_channel=HEALTHYDOSEOFSELF-DESTRUCTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiczlXlAZRw&ab_channel=RICKVARUKERSPUNX

• Like 1

Well, now I gotta put this on too, since Doom made me. When I first saw it was on the Sabbath Story Vol. 1 video as a kid, where it was in black and white. It was probably the first time I heard the original song, after the Sepultura cover of it on Blood Rooted (which has a ridiculously good cover of "Procreation of the Wicked" by Celtic Frost on it too). Everything about it blew me away. Ozzy's voice blown out from constant touring and substance abuse, Tony gritting his teeth from the coke, Geezer being Geezer, and Bill Ward working on muscle memory through the fog with those falling-down-the-stairs fills. It's amazing. They were at their lowest, and yet they were still the best... and at the end of their rope as lawyers and managers and Van Halen put them out to pasture. Incredible. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8_NCX2AwLE&ab_channel=JudgeLazar

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7-BvluI5g&ab_channel=MetalVault

This is interesting. It's on (my copy, at least) of Death... Is Just the Beginning Vol. III, a compilation from both Nuclear Blast and Relapse. It got me into a HUGE amount of bands and was extremely influential. Anyway, Hypocrisy is a weird band. They were super Satanic and even did a (great) black metal side project that shares the name of this song but then got into... aliens? And it became like a main theme of the band. They're weird, not consistent, best album is the second one which is just pure brutal death metal, main vocalist/guitarist/producer Peter Tagtgren became an enormous producer in the metal scene, but this is such a stellar song. The vocals are a little goofy but that fucking solo... a regular rock band would kill to have that be the bridge on their song. And they would be in the right. It's maybe melodramatic overall, but such a mournful and passionate feeling song.

EDIT: This is the other band. Popeye is definitely in the house on vocals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3eX2dBhpzo&ab_channel=Unholywarlust!!

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1