DVDVR Message Board

El Canek vs. Don Corleone (2/14/82)

Phil Schneider

I've listed this in my # 1 position so far and that might not sound like much four matches in but I really liked it. Corleone was a revelation for me and I wish there was more of him on the set. It's probably the best Canek match I've seen as well. I loved the mat work and Corleone brought I pace to all three falls that I'm not sure Canek can do on his own. He seemed to have some British influence and I want to track down more of his stuff.

Interesting. I had this as last match of the night because Canek sucked so much and my working #99 so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to side with the crowd that was not very impressed with this match.  The two wrestlers didn't seem to be on the same page at critical moments.  Canek's delayed bump in the corner was painful.  They didn't even get that muddy when they did their dives outside the ring.  I did like the way Corleone cried out when he was laying in offense during the first fall.  Overall, this was not even as entertaining as the Andre match, so this is #4 of the 4 matches I have watched so far.

I'm middle of the pack on this. It did drag and Canek's offense wasn't that good, and that delayed turnbuckle bump was indeed comical. But Corleone's work looked good, both working holds, unleashing big moves, and selling Canek's weak-ass offense. Even Canek's tope didn't seem all that painful. I liked Canek quite a bit in New Japan--he and Blackman were about the only two Mexicans to get a good match out of Tiger Mask, and he had some killer bouts with Fujinami that I hope the next bout lives up to. I didn't hate him in this as much as Will did, but he didn't give a performance befitting of a Heavyweight champion here. And as much as I liked Corleone here, he looked better in the NJPW match against Fujinami.

• 2 months later...

I will posit the theory that this is probably what title match lucha looked like in the '60s and '70s. There have been references to NWA and WWWF but the matwork is still resolutely lucha with the weird and elaborate holds, it is just a lot slower-paced. This probably isn't a good example of that however. The heat is wrong, with Canek heeling and fighting with Thesz and the crowd doesn't seem to give a shit either way. The piledriver spot into a submission was especially egregious in this fashion. At best the piledriver should have ended the fall immediately and they use it as an excuse for more Thesz interference and continue the match unnecessarily... then Corleone comes back and wins the fall? This should be the other way around. Tercera is a bit better with a painful looking crossface/leglock sub from Corleone and a dive, but yeah, this is lower level material. 

• 5 months later...

Really smooth wrestling here and I like Corleone's aggressiveness. Corleone does some intersting work on the ankles. I don't like Thesz in this spot where he gets into it with Don Corleone. It seems like they also have a camera high on the opposite side of the "hard cam" it's kind of neat to see that angle it almost never happens. El Canek hits a clothesline and an elbowdrop to continue the trend of underwhelming finishes to first falls.

El Canek starts fast and looks for a quick finish. Canek does some nasty surfboard & bow and arrow variations. Thesz looks legitimately pissed when Canek puts his hand on Thesz' throat as he pushes him back while Thesz tries to get him off of Corleone who is hung upside down in the corner. Canek seems to not even know how to do a piledriver when he starts to go for it at first. Lucky for Corleone he didn't get hurt. Thesz has had enough of these guys and puts a headlock on Canek to force him to break a hold when Corleone gets in the ropes. This is going to turn into a triple threat involving the referee. Corleone starts a comeback and it feels weird that he's working from underneath in the second fall when Canek is the big tecnico star. Corleone hits a pretty butterfly suplex with a floatover to win the second fall.

I don't know if there were cuts that I missed between falls, but they are going to the next fall REALLY quickly in this match. WoW El Canek takes one of the most exaggerated bumps I can remember seeing after being whipped into the corner. At least he's really trying to sell the back after the last fall. Corleone does that awesome old backbreaker submission that no one does anymore. Corleone does a full surfboard but he has his hands on Canek's shoulders instead of pulling back his arms so it's not as impressive. Canek manages to shake all that off to hit a press slam. Ok then. He dropkicks Corleone outside the ring and then hits a suicide dive and the back selling is out the window completely now. I like Corleone working urgently to get a pin when he gets control back but El Canek hits a german suplex out of nowhere and gets the win. Corleone pleads his case to Thesz after the match that his shoulder was up but to no avail. 

I liked this quite a bit more than the other singles match.