DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 23.

The Natural

But... at least six of those matches have the potential to be really bad, as well.

Not everything screams MOTY no but there isn't 1 match on that card that I wouldn't exsepct to atleast be decent or better. 

• Like 1

I'd been waiting for Shibata to return for so long (like, I was one of those folks who were really wishing Big Mouth was an elaborate NJPW angle to give Shibata and Murakami extra heat, but then it wasn't, and it crumpled), but kind of forgot about him entirely (fuck that MMA run), but I gotta say, after some time, now I'm just super stoked for everything he does again. He was that guy for me, before he initially left NJPW. I have nothing relevant to say about the G-1, but I'm just really GLAD that dude's back.

These are whom the Japanese fans are rooting based on two Kakutolog polls. Being a Japanese blog, this probably skews towards hardcore puroresu fans more than the mainstream NJPW fans, but it probably isn't overwhelming.

Block A, Shibata 422 votes, Tanahashi 199, Okada 194, Ishii 155, Makabe 97, Kojima 60, Devitt 57, Goto 54, DBS Jr 31, Archer 15.Block B, Ibushi 310, Nakamura 285, Naito 158, Suzuki 113, Nagata 99, Yano 56, Tenzan 52, Takahashi 35, Anderson 27, Shelton 15.Damn, no Archer vs Shelton finals!

Today, I re-watched Shibata's matches vs. Tenzan and vs. Kawada from the '04 G-1. I'm pretty stoked to see him again in August. 

I recently rewatched Shibata vs. Akiyama in their famous WRESTLE-1 bout. Just plain brutal. Shibata really is the man and I never thought that he could be back in his pro-wrestling mode in such a short time competing again. The same man, who headdropped himself with a corner dropkick during that DREAM/IGFnew year's eve show in 2011, places a perfect corner dropkick these days. I'm really hoping for a Shibata vs. Nakamura final.

Hi all, finally signed up here. Some of you might know me, some of (most of, probably) you might not.  :P

Anywho, I'm curious to see how the iPPV does for NJPW. I'm sure it'll be worth it, no doubt in my mind. But the all-or-nothing approach is a bit steep for most. Anyone getting it?

Spoilers AHOY~!

Day 1 in the books.

Best result - Ibushi over Yano. A loss to Yano would have been a bad start for Ibushi. If he lost here I'd have pegged him for 2 tourney wins max. Now, who knows.

Worst result - Archer over Ishii. Ugh need I say more.

Match I most want to see - Nagata vs MinSu. These guys have such great chemistry.

Looks like a so-so start to the tourney. Yujiro over Naito is another result I'd have liked to seen go the other way.

Stop it, please. This ironic Ishii love has gone too far. The pudgy midget with the weight belt isn't main eventing PPV's. Maybe at some Japanese bingo hall against Honma, but not in New Japan.

I reviewed Day 1 of the 2013 G1 Climax here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/njpw-g1-climax-2013-day-1-results-and.html

Overall thoughts: This was a really good show from top to bottom. There were tons of upsets and lots of matches that exceeded expectations. Kojima/Tanahashi was my MOTN and I really liked the UWFi Smith/Shibata match.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Stop it, please. This ironic Ishii love has gone too far. The pudgy midget with the weight belt isn't main eventing PPV's. Maybe at some Japanese bingo hall against Honma, but not in New Japan.

That pudgy midget with the weight belt is fucking awesome.

• Like 1

Just watched the main event of Day 2 and you are wrong.