DVDVR Message Board

Batman's 85th anniversary today and this year.

This year Batman turns 85 and today's the big day with Batman debuting in Detective Comics #27. My best Batman Films/TV:

• Batman: The Animated Series.
  • Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.
  • The Dark Knight.
  • Batman Begins.
  • The Batman.
  • Batman '89.
  • Batman Returns.
  • Batman '66.
  • Batman: Under the Red Hood.
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
  • Batman of the Future.
  • Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.
  • Justice League cartoon.

Happy birthday, Batman!

• Like 3

Man, for a guy who's 85 he don't look a day over 45.  How DOES he do it after all this time?

But yeah Happy Birthday to my all-time favorite superhero and the joy that his stuff has brought me throughout my life.  From seeing the '66 show at my grandma's to the Tim Burton movies and everything since then he's always been the one I pay attention to the most.  I might not have fully picked up on why at the time but for as great as Superman is Batman was and always be my choice.

EDIT:  For giggles I didn't see all that you saw but I'll rank the ones I did anyway.

• Batman '89.  Nostalgia is a motherfucker.  Plus Nicholson Joker AND for good measure Prince doing the music?  Fuck yeah!
  • Batman: The Animated Series.  Perfectly encapsulates practically every side of Batman.
  • The Dark Knight.  Heath Ledger's Joker.  'Nuff said.
  • Batman Returns.
  • The Batman.  Almost hate that Pattison was so damn good.
  • Batman '66.  Nostalgia is still a motherfucker but '89 has better merch and is a better quality overall than this.
Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 9:28 AM, The Natural said:

This year Batman turns 85 and today's the big day with Batman debuting in Detective Comics #27. My best Batman Films/TV:

• Batman: The Animated Series.
  • The Dark Knight.
  • Batman Begins.
  • The Batman.
  • Batman '89.
  • Batman Returns.
  • Batman '66.
  • Batman: Under the Red Hood.
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
  • Batman of the Future.
  • Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

Happy birthday, Batman!

i missed this post yesterday but caught the comic one! another great list. 

Batman '66, Batman Forever, and Batman: TAS (+ Mask of the Phantasm) make up my top 3. Brave & the Bold would probably sneak in at #4, that is such a fun show. the Dark Knight i guess rounds the list out at 5.

never saw The Batman (the movie) and not a fan of The Batman (the cartoon series) or any version of Batman Beyond. 

can we all agree that Batman & Robin (the movie) is dead last?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Man, for a guy who's 85 he don't look a day over 45.  How DOES he do it after all this time?

But yeah Happy Birthday to my all-time favorite superhero and the joy that his stuff has brought me throughout my life.  From seeing the '66 show at my grandma's to the Tim Burton movies and everything since then he's always been the one I pay attention to the most.  I might not have fully picked up on why at the time but for as great as Superman is Batman was and always be my choice.

EDIT:  For giggles I didn't see all that you saw but I'll rank the ones I did anyway.

• Batman '89.  Nostalgia is a motherfucker.  Plus Nicholson Joker AND for good measure Prince doing the music?  Fuck yeah!
  • Batman: The Animated Series.  Perfectly encapsulates practically every side of Batman.
  • The Dark Knight.  Heath Ledger's Joker.  'Nuff said.
  • Batman Returns.
  • The Batman.  Almost hate that Pattison was so damn good.
  • Batman '66.  Nostalgia is still a motherfucker but '89 has better merch and is a better quality overall than this.

Thank you for this, my friend. Batman '66, Batman '89/Batman Returns and Batman: The Animated Series are the reasons why I'm the Batman fan you see today having grown up on those as a kid. I was underage with the Keaton/Burton ones. Please do me a favour and watch Batman Begins. I love that film. When posting my list I meant to post The Dark Knight and Batman Begins over Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. I'll post an amended list after this post. Check the uncut version of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker as well.

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

i missed this post yesterday but caught the comic one! another great list. 

Batman '66, Batman Forever, and Batman: TAS (+ Mask of the Phantasm) make up my top 3. Brave & the Bold would probably sneak in at #4, that is such a fun show. the Dark Knight i guess rounds the list out at 5.

never saw The Batman (the movie) and not a fan of The Batman (the cartoon series) or any version of Batman Beyond. 

can we all agree that Batman & Robin (the movie) is dead last?

Thank you, pal. Batman Forever was my first Batman film at the cinema. Good call on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, that will make my amended list. I enjoyed The Batman more so as it came out on the 4th of March 2002 in cinemas and I watched it with my Dad/best friend on 6th March, my Birthday. Yes, Batman & Robin is the worst killing the franchise for 8 long years till Christopher Nolan resuscitated it.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Amended list with a few new entries:

16. The Batman cartoon.

15. Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

14. Justice League cartoon.

13. Batman of the Future.

12. The Dark Knight Rises.

11. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

10. Batman: Under the Red Hood.

9. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

8. The Batman.

7. Batman '66.

6. Batman Returns.

5. Batman '89.

4. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

3. Batman Begins.

2. The Dark Knight.

1. Batman: The Animated Series.

Batman '89, Batman Returns and Batman '66 have faults but place above some without because how those alongside Batman: The Animated Series got me into Batman. Interesting seeing the large gap between The Dark Knight, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises.

• Like 1