DVDVR Message Board

The Dark Knight (2008) 15th Anniversary Today

pKKvCaL1TPTVtbI6EeliyND3api.jpg

Hope Dolfan doesn't mind me making a thread to mark the occasion. I am the board's biggest Batman fan after all. I bought advance tickets for me and my Dad to see The Dark Knight's IMAX premiere. Best £40 ever spent. The performances, the direction, the themes addressed including how far do we go to confront those who have no rules or limits? I can honestly say I was in the happy minority when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker who deservedly won an Academy Award posthumously for Best Supporting Actor. The film wrongly missed out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations and should have won both. Fifteen years on, The Dark Knight remains the best comic book movie and one of the best films ever. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• The Natural changed the title to The Dark Knight (2008) 15th Anniversary Today
44 minutes ago, Log said:

My initial thought on seeing you say it should've won best picture was to disagree. But, damn, that year's Oscars had a really weak field of Best Picture nominees.

The Academy Awards fucked up so much in 2008:

• The Dark Knight wasn't nominated for Best Picture and Best and Director (Nolan).
  • WALL-E wasn't nominated for Best Picture and Best Director (Stanton).
  • Gran Torino wasn't nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor (Eastwood) and Best Director (Eastwood).
  • Let the Right One In wasn't nominated for Best Picture, Best Foreign Language Film and Best Director (Alfredson).
  • The Wrestler wasn't nominated for Best Picture or Best Director (Aronofsky).
  • Sean Penn winning the Academy Award for Best Actor instead of Mickey Rourke.

I FUCKING HATE The Reader. 

• Like 2