DVDVR Message Board

2019 - 2020 NCAA BASKETBALL THREAD

RIPPA

I don't want the tourney stuff to mix with this stuff and it is almost a year to the date that I started the last one.

William & Mary has fired Tony Shaver after 16 seasons

W&M remains one of original D-1 schools to not make the tournament

(We aren't gonna discuss how they need to follow the AU route of dropping down a league)

Other firings that I have found

Washington State fired Ernie Kent

Ohio fired Saul Phillips

Troy canned Phil Cunningham

Fairfield, Mercer and Niagara also need coaches

Barry Hinson also retired as Southern Illinois' coach after they got turfed from the MVC tournament. He'd apparently promised the previous SIU AD (now it's Jerry Kill) that he would quit if the Salukis didn't go dancing this year.

Spare a thought for the man. Back in 2006 he got Missouri State to 20-8 with a 21 RPI... only to get snubbed on Selection Sunday (in a year where FOUR Valley squads went dancing), which he's been haunted by ever since.

Bryce Drew out at Vandy

Kinda hard to keep your job when you don't win a game in the conference

(Side note - Vandy is trying to "reassign" Drew as to not have to pay his buyout. Good luck with that)

Other openings that I think we missed

Wyking Jones out at Cal (This was like a couple of days after getting the dreaded vote of confidence)

Marvin Menzies out at UNLV (Apparently the names already floated for the job are Thad Matta, Rick Pitino, Tyronn Lue and Jason Kidd)

Todd Bozeman did not have his contract renewed at Morgan State

Well this took a turn

Mick Cronin, who has led the Cincinnati Bearcats to nine consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, has signed a six-year, $24 million contract to be the new coach of the UCLA Bruins, it was announced Tuesday.

"Mick Cronin is a fierce competitor, and I'm excited to welcome him to Westwood," UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero said in a statement. "Mick has built a fantastic program at Cincinnati, backed by integrity and discipline, and he has instilled an undeniable toughness in his student-athletes. I am confident he will build this program the right way and lead UCLA basketball back to national prominence."

Cronin has a 365-171 record in 16 seasons as a collegiate head coach, including the last 13 seasons at Cincinnati.

• 2 weeks later...