DVDVR Message Board

Pacquiao vs. Bradley III (4/9/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Pac-Bradley-Poster.jpg

Pacquiao vs. Bradley III 
April 9, 2016
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Manny Pacquiao (145.5) vs. Timothy Bradley (146.5) - Pacquiao, DEC (unanimous)
WBO Super Middleweight Championship: Arthur Abraham © (168)  vs. Gilberto Ramirez (168) (sixth defense) - Ramirez, DEC (unanimous)
Oscar Valdez (125.5) vs. Evgeny Gradovich (126) - Valdez, TKO (left hook), R4 (2:14)
Jose Ramirez (138)  vs. Manuel Perez (137.5) - Ramirez, DEC (unanimous)

TopRank.TV Preliminary Card:
Devin Haney (132.5) vs. Rafael Vazquez (132.5) - Haney, DEC (unanimous)
Oleksandr Gvozdyk (174.5) vs. Nadjib Mohammedi (171) - Gvozdyk, KO (straight right), R2 (2:06)
Egidjius Kavaliauskas (146.5) vs. Denis Ilbay (146) - Kavaliauskas, DEC (unanimous)
Leon Bauer (165.5) vs. Ilshat Khusnulgatin (167) - Bauer, DEC (unanimous)
Konstantin Ponomarev (147) vs. Brad Solomon (148.5) - Ponomarev, DEC (split)

Attendance: 14,665
Buyrate: 400,000

6 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Not only do you get a rematch that no one asked for the undercard is meh.  Teddy Atlas will be the only thing worth watching

I wonder what the ticket sales will look like. I mean Top Rank had to bait people into this being Pacquiao's last fight. Yet, basically insisting it might not be. They can't even commit to doing a proper bait and switch.

You can see the good and bad of TR not sticking Crawford against Pacquiao at this stage of his career. However, I think the bad far outweighs the good. I mean the worst thing that could happen is Manny clearly outpoints Crawford and then Pacquiao is never seen again so Crawford can never get his win back. I think though that one loss isn't the end-all, be-all of a young fighter's career if he is talented. You have guys far less talented than a Canelo Alvarez or Amir Khan who bounced back from a tough loss. Plus, I think someone like Crawford has way more upside than someone like Khan. However, when a lot of the quality guys (the ones signed with PBC) can't face him, why wouldn't you see what he can do with Pacquiao? How many times can you stick him in there with blown up featherweights and lightweights and/or lower level B and C fighters? You have to get him out of Omaha and the WaMu Theater at MSG at some point. Keep in mind that Arum himself said Timothy Bradley isn't a draw on many occasions. So are you going to throw him in there with a Kell Brook, who isn't even signed with an American promoter?

Not surprisingly, this fight bombed on PPV.  According to Dan Rafael, Arum said this PPV might do between 400k-500k and/or no higher than a half a million. It find it very funny that Jim Lampley said that the UFC can never do a mega event like Mayweather-Pacquiao. The thing is that when the action under delivers (even though most people in the know were rightfully picking Floyd to win), you supremely compromise the prospects of future bouts.  For the most part, UFC either hits the mark enough in terms of what people paid to see to achieve repeat business or over delivers on big shows.

Oscar-Floyd at least had the fact that it created a giant superstar out of it, and Oscar would give the same rub to Pacquiao the next year. May 2nd of last year accomplished absolutely nothing other than a rematch that probably won't happen. No new stars were created (in the main event or the undercard). It's going to take awhile for boxing on PPV to recover stateside.