DVDVR Message Board

LUCHA Tuesday 8/13/13

Phil Schneider

Watched Lucero/Hechicero. Started out as a perfectly good little old school lucha title match then turns into a serious Misawa/Kobashi level deathfest in the 3rd fall. These old guys are fucking insane. I don't wanna spoil it but I'm gonna say Hechicero is a god damn wizard that he didn't kill himself right there.

Watched: Chico Che, Pantera, Fresero Jr. vs. Gringos Locos VIP (Avisman, Hijo d. Diablo, Apolo Estrada Jr) - IWRG 8/11

Hey - it's the Gringos Locos VIP! This was a fun match, I mean just look at who's in it. The brawling just doesn't look that good on TV - the clowns running this TV channel seriously need to take lessons from BTJr at filming wrestling matches. Atleast they managed to videotape Avisman assaulting Che with headbutts. It kind of sucked that Diablo and Avisman wore masks in this match, because they have such amazing scummy looks. Che was a bit in comedy mode but ruled anyways. Still, this is a Gringos Locos VIP match, bring on the blood and the cactus violence. Fresero is big and awkward as fuck, pretty amazing that he managed to not kill the match.

Diamante Azul/Ciclon Ramirez tope comparison? There's a new definition of stretching.

I recommend Mascara Dorada/Super Porky/Thunder vs Felino/Euforia/New Pierroth. Total utter shit match with two horrible wrestlers & two washed up veterans who just show up to play their role and get by on comedy. Yet Mascara Dorada makes the match must-see with his incredible performance. Vintage 1996 Rey Jr.-esque performance where crowd is just in awe & it doesn't matter who else is involved - he comes out the star everyone will remember when they leave the building. No better flyer in wrestling these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lfp0G4cpQM

I watched a shit ton of "Lucha Tuesday" uploads today.  Highlights:

Lucero/Hechicero was holy shit great and probably my new MOTY.  If not for a couple of slightly (and I mean slightly) off time spots it would be damn near perfect.  Wrote a full review elsewhere and can go into details if compelled, but everyone should watch that match.

Rush showed up three times and was the best part of all three trios matches.  I would rather watch him and Casas beat the fuck out of each other, but I am just fine watching him and Terrible kick the shit out of each other again and there was plenty of that this week.

Fun mini's match.  I continue to enjoy Astral.

Casas and Thunder had some really fun exchanges and even though we only got a little of Casas, he still looked as awesome as usual.  

Disappointments:

That LA Park trios wasn't good.  I mean I didn't expect it to be but fuck.

IWRG makes me sad.  Tons of talent there including some of the younger guys (Alan Extreme is great for example) but the pairings and the way the matches are laid out just don't work.  I didn't hate any of the stuff from this week, but nothing really jumped out at all.  

Virus trio from 8/11 was a solid match, but I want more Virus in my life then what I got out of that match.  

Charles Lucero vs. Rey Hechicero Monterrey 8/4 

Tremendous stuff, built really well from opening matwork, which contrasted Luceros slower more old school stuff with Hechicero's quicker twister stuff. Finish run was off the charts. The aformentioned Hechicero bump has got to be the spot of 2013 so far, and Lucero's bump was truly nuts for an old man. Loved the drama of the final, with all of the replays and ringside guys trying to stop the match. So great

Charles Lucero vs. Rey Hechicero Monterrey 8/4 

Tremendous stuff, built really well from opening matwork, which contrasted Luceros slower more old school stuff with Hechicero's quicker twister stuff. Finish run was off the charts. The aformentioned Hechicero bump has got to be the spot of 2013 so far, and Lucero's bump was truly nuts for an old man. Loved the drama of the final, with all of the replays and ringside guys trying to stop the match. So great

I love how Hechicero moves over one seat on his tope because he didn't want to crush the five year old in the next row.