DVDVR Message Board

Getting in on the ground floor (Fantasy)

Liam

Sanderson does teach writing at BYU (or at least he did) and he has writing podcasts and what not, but his work is so thoroughly in his voice. It's extremely easy to recognize his work despite the different subgenres he writes in. It's almost too easy to pick out his personal voice, to be honest, which is the problem I have with Peter David, for instance. 

That he annotates (eventually) almost every chapter he does on his website is pretty striking too (and part of my own personal problem in not always being able to separate the writer's voice from his work; I read too much about why he did what he did). He's just that prolific.

I like the mistborn stuff, but I think in terms of a fantasy setting with a heavy intrigue base, I really prefer all the Kushiel stuff by Jaqueline Carey. I don't know why it never gets mentioned along with other great recent fantasy series, but aside from having some of the worst cover art in history I'm hard pressed to find much fault in them. There is a good amount of freaky sex, but it's actually part of the world which I think works better and makes it a little more palatable than the random rapey encounters so many other fantasy books have. Has anyone else read these? OSJ, they are cheap if you need something less pricey right now.