DVDVR Message Board

Good Defenses on Bad Teams

Thomas Bugg

The offensive staff and players of the 2013 Houston Texans really need their asses kicked. Yes, I know that they had countless issues with injuries and such, but you've got a defense that finishes 7th in the league in total defense and you only win two games? That's pathetic, there's no other way to describe it. And yes, they were 24th in the league in points allowed, but how many of those points were off of their AFC-worst 31 giveaways on offense?

The 1977 Atlanta Falcons are probably the epitome of a bad team having an awesome defense- the Gritz Blitz. Man, I wish I could've been around to see these guys, I only got to see old NFL Films clips of the team. They finished 2nd in the league in total yards allowed, the fewest points allowed in the league, and they did it with only one Pro Bowler. That's nothing short of remarkable.

Any other examples of good defensive units on mediocre NFL teams?

The offensive staff and players of the 2013 Houston Texans really need their asses kicked. Yes, I know that they had countless issues with injuries and such, but you've got a defense that finishes 7th in the league in total defense and you only win two games? That's pathetic, there's no other way to describe it. And yes, they were 24th in the league in points allowed, but how many of those points were off of their AFC-worst 31 giveaways on offense?

The 1977 Atlanta Falcons are probably the epitome of a bad team having an awesome defense- the Gritz Blitz. Man, I wish I could've been around to see these guys, I only got to see old NFL Films clips of the team. They finished 2nd in the league in total yards allowed, the fewest points allowed in the league, and they did it with only one Pro Bowler. That's nothing short of remarkable.

Any other examples of good defensive units on mediocre NFL teams?

Gritz Blitz was like a one year wonder.  In 1978 Atlanta had the same shitty offense and the defense gave up twice the points they did the year before but they made the playoffs

• Like 1

Didn't one of the Reggie White/Jerome Brown/et al Philly defenses lead the NFL in both rushing yards allowed and passing yards allowed, but miss the playoffs anyway?

The year Cunningham got hurt and the Eagles finished the season with their 4th string QB

Yep, number 1 in passing, rushing and overall yards allowed on defense, and it was a....pardon me while I try not to relive a bad childhood memory :'(....loss to Dallas in the second to last game of the season that did them in. That and like he said Randall going down in week one and the Eagles using a plethora of QB's.