DVDVR Message Board

A new board game thread for 2024

Hi all,

The mods apparently frown on bumping threads that have been dormant for years, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I got the WWE Legends Royal Rumble card game for Xmas, and it's pretty fun. Not remotely fair or balanced, but neither is the real Rumble, so I'm inclined to let that pass.

One note that might be amusing to this board: the Piledriver card is flagged as an illegal move. Do you suppose they outsourced the game design to a Mexican team who weren't fully up on the differences between WWE rules and lucha?

To be fair, the regular Piledriver has been a "banned move" in WWE for decades now, with the only exception being Taker and Kane doing the Tombstone (and for whatever reason, allowing Canadian Destroyers, although I assume that's because no one really takes the head bump from it).  So it's not really that odd.

Yeah, but it's a real-life ban, not an in-story ban. When Punk and Cena randomly threw a piledriver into one of their matches (and I don't even remember who drove whose pile), the announcers didn't say anything about how it should be a DQ. Or did they?

Though I do sort of like the idea that piledrivers are banned unless you do a flip into them. Sadly I don't think the game has a move-boosting card named "Flipping", but the next time I play I might say that Corkscrew Piledrivers and Flying Piledrivers are fine, just not regular Piledrivers.

We've been playing a lot of Sea, Salt & Paper lately and the expansion Extra Salt just released to local game stores that opens up a few new mechanics that add a lot of replicability.  It's nice to finally have a successor to Sushi Go! for game to take to bars and play with non-board gamer friends that I haven't completely played to death yet.  

And don't even get me started on the amount of money I dropped on Lorcana over the last 6 months.