DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/19/2023

The Natural

11 hours ago, EVA said:

I think what you might be forgetting here is that the TNT title was in a VERY strong place after Darby and Miro’s reigns. It already was a must-see attraction…until Sammy tanked it!

It definitely SHOULD have been the start of building Sammy up as a top guy. That was clearly the intention. But you gotta deliver the goods, and Sammy didn’t. His first reign was a total snooze, and the second time around he was so bad that he turned himself heel despite feuding with the most hated personality in AEW.

Putting him back with Jericho was a mercy, quite frankly. Being Jericho’s lieutenant is the only role he’s every succeeded in.

There were other factors. Sammy's not a natural babyface. He annoyed everybody with his waggling tongue a week in. And then everybody else when it was revealed that he had a gorgeous new girlfriend. They continued to push him as a babyface while he was clearly a heel. Who's upward momentum is gonna survive that? The Scorpio/TV Title feud was a misguided adventure seemingly from the same creative folder as the American Nightmare-Won't-Go-Heel. I don't disagree that he's not yet a top guy, but that seems just fine. 29 years old may not sound so young on a roster with Dante and Sparkz, but in wrestling terms he's potentially 5 years away from his peak. He may never get there, but he'll certainly get better. His psychology will get better. And the mic reps will help. I'm here for the ride when you're a heat seeking missile like the Spanish God with a catalog of matches as he has.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

There were other factors. Sammy's not a natural babyface. He annoyed everybody with his waggling tongue a week in. And then everybody else when it was revealed that he had a gorgeous new girlfriend. They continued to push him as a babyface while he was clearly a heel. Who's upward momentum is gonna survive that? The Scorpio/TV Title feud was a misguided adventure seemingly from the same creative folder as the American Nightmare-Won't-Go-Heel. I don't disagree that he's not yet a top guy, but that seems just fine. 29 years old may not sound so young on a roster with Dante and Sparkz, but in wrestling terms he's potentially 5 years away from his peak. He may never get there, but he'll certainly get better. His psychology will get better. And the mic reps will help. I'm here for the ride when you're a heat seeking missile like the Spanish God with a catalog of matches as he has.

Of the 4 pillars, I keep asking who is the Bobby Eaton/Brad Armstrong of the 4 pillars - great hand in the ring, great in the locker room, but not just great of a mouthpiece. I have no clue how Jack Perry is perceived behind the scenes. In so many ways, Jack is the anti-Sammy.

The challenge is of the 4, MJF is the jacked one - I keep hearing JR "It's a body business"; which is the same problem with Adam Cole.  Working underneath of a small babyface or as a heel works for a while. But having monsters getting beat over and over by a guy who might weigh 170 is not a formula that work every time. 

• Like 3