DVDVR Message Board

Cartoons: Help Me Build the Ultimate Collection

twiztor

Thundarr has been mentioned. You also can't go wrong with the original runs of Space Ghost or the Herculoids. Also, anytime you see "Written by Michael Reaves", you can count on numerous H.P. Lovecraft references. Good places to start are Real Ghostbusters and Blackstar. 

Also, regarding Thundarr, it should surprise no one that the series was created by Steve Gerber, the mad genius behind the Howard the Duck comic. Several episodes were also written by Roy Thomas, who in the late 1970s - early 1980s was easily the best comics writer in the biz. Damn, what a great show that was, I really need to get the set on DVD.

• 1 year later...

two years on, i want to again thank everyone who contributed. i have over 8000 cartoon episodes on my hard drive. and, until this point, i've avoided most of the Disney (Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, etc.) and Warner Bros. (Animaniacs, Tiny Toons) cartoons of their times. But i just got really high and drunk and binged cartoons for hours. this made me decide that i absolutely need all of these series. 

sort of related note, does anybody else consider Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers a "live action cartoon"? because it totally is.

• Like 2