DVDVR Message Board

MATT'S REVIEW OF A BODYSLAM CHALLENGE

RIPPA

I am trying to find old DVDVR stuff lost to the ages instead of any of the 100 other things I am supposed to be doing.

He probably has this already but here is @Matt D reviewing the Crusher Blackwell/Dino Bravo Bodyslam challenge

April 10 1980, Winnipeg CANADA, Blackwell vs Bravo in a bodyslam challenge. If Bravo can slam Blackwell he gets $1000 and wins. 

Blackwell begging off and backstepping onto his butt in the opening was great. I don't think anyone has taken punches in the history of wrestling quite like Jerry. The complete 360 on the groggy missed punch is AWESOME. There's around five minutes of Blackwell just eating offense and it's great. I actually think Gene is really on top of his game announcing too. Blackwell is a great topic of discussion for him. The dramatic wobble after Blackwell catches Bravo on the crossbody is pure Blackwell. 

I love Blackwell's diving headbutt. Then the arm work begins (which makes total sense given this is a bodyslam challenge match). Blackwell does a pretty amazing job with it, including the two (different angled) killer leg drops onto the arm. They do a good job in general here, both having Bravo get back up and try to fight out often (the mat kicking at the start of part 2 is especially good) and having Blackwell switch up just what he's doing so as to keep the crowd in it. Blackwell calmly lounging as he scissors the arm is A+ stuff. And then he keeps the scissor on as he goes for the pin. And THEN he yells at Gene. And then Bravo powers over and Blackwell pulls the hair and stooges. The whole segment is great. And after another hope spot, he follows it up with a knee drop onto a hammerlock. Geez. Great Bridge by Bravo for ANOTHER hope spot, only to get quashed by a hair pull and the BOTTOM ROPE SPLASH onto the arm! Another hope bit with Bravo grabbing the jaw and rolling out, but Blackwell's right there to smash the arm on the apron. Super focused wrestling.

Blackwell walks around taunting the crowd and Bravo rolls to the center of the ring, selling the arm like it was no longer attached. Just a dead, limp thing. Then comes the one-armed comeback and super momentum Luger-Yokozuna one-armed slam for the finish. Bravo's great here with his left arm still hanging limp as he celebrates. And Blackwell comes in with the check in his mouth(!) to maul Bravo leading to the babyfaces charging in and the Stretcher job while Blackwell takes the house mic and taunts and then looms watching just makes everything all the more resonant. 

Yeah, I loved this, and I think you guys should watch it, no question. Were this on the set, I think it would have been around #5 for me for disc 1, if not higher. Was it considered?