DVDVR Message Board

Centurion Negro vs. Gran Hamada (2/14/82)

Phil Schneider

The first two falls of this were shit. I know this is the early 80s, but getting pinned by a back body drop is some weak shit. The matwork was dull too, and it just seemed like they were going through the motions before getting to the third fall, where things got bammed up a notch. The dives into the dirt were really cool. I don't think Negro looked very good here, pretty bland actually, but Hamada was as solid as ever. By the end I think it turned into a good match, but nothing great.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked this match a lot more as it went along.  Like some other viewers, the matwork during the first fall resulted in my attention wandering a bit.  I thought the rope-running sequence at the end of the second fall was a bit clunky, and Hamada's pin seemed abrupt.  The third fall was a lot of fun with the muddy dives, but Thesz seemed to be pretty out of position for some Negro pinfall attempts early in the third fall.  I think this has been the most impressive match of the first three matches I have watched.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I liked this a ton. Along with the big NJPW multi-man tags and well-done big vs. little matches, I think lucha title bouts are now my favorite type of wrestling match. Centurion Negro becomes the first of what I'm sure will be multiple guys who will go from "who?" to "this guy's fucking awesome" by the time the set's done. He looks like a great mat wrestler here and he sets up Hamada's flying spots beautifully while throwing in some highspots of his own. Some really good close near-falls close out the third fall before Hamada takes the UWA Middleweight title. This is easily the best of the first 3 matches.

• 2 months later...

The speed at which Centurion takes it to the mat is really cool. Unfortunately Thesz has to remind Hamada to sell the leg after the initial onslaught, which is sad. I don't know if Daniel Bryan ever used the butterfly suplex-into-Cattle Mutilation here but if not he should try that as a finish. Finish to first fall is indeed lame. Hamada either has a learning curve or the language barrier is coming into play here because that was not a good way to end... or else they just didn't give a fuck. Luckily we get right back to the matwork, before a sprint portion and another bad finish. Thankfully Centurion goes back to both the legs and the arms trying for a finish and it looks really cool. Hamada has to correct himself flying over the rope which could have ended up really bad and eats a dive, plus gets covered in filth, which doesn't stop him from doing a dive of his own. The end is pretty solid in comparison to the first couple, except for the fact that the crowd is not used to the speed of the count and doesn't recognize the pinfall until Thesz raises Hamada's arm (which they thankfully pop for). Kind of a wonky match but some really cool stuff in it. Good to come back and look at this one after seeing the rest of the set. 

• 5 months later...

Not too much going on in the first fall. Hamada kind of gets dominated on the mat for the first fall and then it ends after a backdrop and a splash? Not a very impressive finish to the first fall.

Second fall felt pretty uneventful until the short burst at the finishing stretch. You would think that Lou Thesz could have found a better ref shirt for all the times he was used as a guest referee for title matches. I think I've seen him in that thing before.

Hamada is just getting tied up for the third fall. Ohhh man Hamada's nutty bump to the outside followed by almost slipping, coming close to doing the splits then getting hit by a dive was top notch. Hamada decicdes that a suicide dive should at least try to live up to it's name. Loved the finish but the ending was really lacking in how long it took them to ring the bell and Thesz barely acting like the match was over. This was pretty good but my least favorite of the 3 so far. Kind of surprising how little offense Hamada had.